Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Sean Gonsman <se...@abovemedia.com> on 2005/08/19 15:45:06 UTC

[users@httpd] Recompliing Apache, no config.smile found

Hi,

My questions upfront:

1.) Is there a way to get the original configure command from an install
of the fedora core 3 CD?

2.) If not, what do I need to do to recompile apache (I already read the
install docs and they don't work)?

I am a beginner. I upgrading mysql 3.23 to 4.1.  Now, apache does not
work.  I have attempted to recompile apache (actually it was an upgrade
from 2.0.52 to 2.0.54), but I am unsuccessful.  This is probably the
fifth time in my life that I have tried to recompile apache without
success.  Apache was originally installed from the fedora core CD (which
I don't have since this is a rented server).  It looks like the default
install from the CD puts apache files all over the place, totally
different than the default install from source.  I am guessing that the
recompile would work fine if I had the same configure command during
install.

-Sean

--
Sean Gonsman
Above Media

Re: [users@httpd] Recompliing Apache, no config.smile found

Posted by Sean Gonsman <se...@abovemedia.com>.
Sorry, I know...it's config.nice (I'm on about 4 hours sleep/night).

-Sean

Posted by "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>.

>>I check it out.  It's just adding another layer of complication.  I
>>tried to use it and it told me "you do not have any GPG public keys
>>installed".  So this is not a viable option.
>

> it also says that you can import the key using rpm --import blablabla,
> or just add gpgcheck=1 to /etc/yum.conf

I meant remove that line, or change it to
gpgcheck=0

Posted by "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>.

Posted by Sean Gonsman <se...@abovemedia.com>.

Posted by "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>.

Posted by Sean Gonsman <se...@abovemedia.com>.

Posted by "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>.
Sean Gonsman wrote:
> OK, so I can't change Fedora and it seems to be working fine outside of
> this problem.  I unistalled the RPM of apache and reinstalled from
> source.  Apache will start, but there are no modules to speak of.  Where
> are they located?  It looks like they were not installed.  This was my
> configure script:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/etc/httpd --enable-module=so --enable-ssl
> --enable-http --with-layout=RedHat
>
> I need php, mysql, and ssl to work.

As i said, if you are using fedora, use the stock system.

yum install httpd mysql php php-mysql mod_ssl

Posted by Sean Gonsman <se...@abovemedia.com>.
  > Well, you didn't told him about any modules but "so", so he didn't
> installed any. Now, php is a module on his own, so you should
> install php. See on www.php.org.

Are you saying that I have to re-install PHP now?  I can't install
apache with the module and be fine.  If so, what about perl, mod_ssl,
and other programs?

-Sean

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@onlyforfun.net>.
Sean Gonsman wrote:

> ./configure --prefix=/etc/httpd --enable-module=so --enable-ssl
> --enable-http --with-layout=RedHat

Well, you didn't told him about any modules but "so", so he didn't
installed any. Now, php is a module on his own, so you should
install php. See on www.php.org.

MySQL... if you are not using it for authentication
(aka: you are using mysql from PHP) then Apache doesn't need
to know about him. SSL should be already installed, but you'll
need to create a certificate to enable it.

See the documentation about mod_ssl to create the certificate.

Davide

Re: [users@httpd] Recompliing Apache, no config.smile found

Posted by "Ivan Barrera A." <Br...@Ivn.cl>.
>> in apache that are tied into MySQL.
>>
>> Now explain CORRECTLY what you mean when you say "does not work".
>

> Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 6 of
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/auth_mysql.conf:
> Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_auth_mysql.so into server:
> libmysqlclient.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
> [FAILED]

if using fedora, use "yum install mysql"

>> Fedora? On a SERVER?
>

> Is this wrong?  It seems like most servers come with it.

It may be, but fedora is not a server system. Is a workstation system
and even as it, it is under constant development.
Server systems are installed with Redhat Enterprise Server, or their
free equivalent as CentOS

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@onlyforfun.net>.
Sean Gonsman wrote:
> Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 6 of
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/auth_mysql.conf:

If you do not use mysql for authentication, remove (or rename)
/etc/httpd/conf.d/auth_mysql.conf and it should be ok.

>> Fedora? On a SERVER?
> Is this wrong?  It seems like most servers come with it.

Well... personally I prefer something less cutting-edge and a
little more stable, at least on servers...

Davide

Re: [users@httpd] Recompliing Apache, no config.smile found

Posted by Sean Gonsman <se...@abovemedia.com>.
> /usr/sbin/httpd -V will tell you the configuration parameters used
> during compilation.

Too late, files have been overwritten now (this always happens to me!)

> Get the sources, cd into it, use ./configure --with-layout=RedHat,
> this should give you the default you're looking for. Be aware that
> an up2date could overwrite your installation this way.

Trying this now.

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@onlyforfun.net>.
Sean Gonsman wrote:
> 1.) Is there a way to get the original configure command from an install
> of the fedora core 3 CD?

/usr/sbin/httpd -V will tell you the configuration parameters used
during compilation.

> 2.) If not, what do I need to do to recompile apache (I already read the
> install docs and they don't work)?

Get the sources, cd into it, use ./configure --with-layout=RedHat,
this should give you the default you're looking for. Be aware that
an up2date could overwrite your installation this way.

> I am a beginner. I upgrading mysql 3.23 to 4.1.

?? what's apache has to do with it?

>  Now, apache does not work.

The two things should not be connected, unless you have some modules
in apache that are tied into MySQL.

Now explain CORRECTLY what you mean when you say "does not work".

> success.  Apache was originally installed from the fedora core CD (which
> I don't have since this is a rented server).

Fedora? On a SERVER?

> install from the CD puts apache files all over the place,

See config.layout to see where the files are.

Davide

--
I can't wait for EDLIN to be ported for Windows.