Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Russ Leong <ru...@kikuze.com> on 2002/05/08 08:30:42 UTC

Changing Permissions

Hi,

    I read from the Unofficial Slide FAQ that modification of permissions
during run-time is not supported. But is it a feature that is being planned
to be implemented? I am asking because I do not find this feature stated in
the Status page for Slide. Thanks.

Russ

Re: Changing Permissions

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
08.05.2002 12:00:21, "Russ Leong" <ru...@kikuze.com> wrote:
[...]
>But from your statement, do you mean that I am supposed to
>revoke/make any permission changes only via the API?
>
>Russ

Definitely, as changes directly to the underlying store (database in
your case) will not be noticed until the cache is completely
invalidated for some reason (most common is the restart of the
webapp). This is valid for anything in Slide: changes made directly to
the underlying store will probably be ignored because of caching.

-chris
cmlenz at gmx.de

Re: Changing Permissions

Posted by Russ Leong <ru...@kikuze.com>.
Hi,
    the statement is at
http://faq.globalvision.com.au/fom-serve/cache/26.html . Actually I tried to
check if run-time modification works by testing with a jsp. Here is what I
did :

Slide running on Orion with security set to false due to authentication
issues.
Tested with these lines in my jsp
-----------------------------------
try {
        testing.TestSlide ts = testing.TestSlide.getInstance();

        NamespaceAccessToken nat = Domain.accessNamespace(new
SecurityToken(""), "slide");
        org.apache.slide.security.Security security =
nat.getSecurityHelper();

        System.out.println("root actions? "+security.hasPermission(new
SubjectNode("/"), new SubjectNode("/users/john"), new
ActionNode("/actions")));
        System.out.println("root Write? "+security.hasPermission(new
SubjectNode("/"), new SubjectNode("/users/john"), new
ActionNode("/actions/write")));
        System.out.println("root Read? "+security.hasPermission(new
SubjectNode("/"), new SubjectNode("/users/john"), new
ActionNode("/actions/read")));
}
catch( Exception e) { e.printStackTrace(); }
-----------------------------------
    Initially I will get, say 3 'true's from the system outs. But when I
manually edit the values in the database to revoke certain privilege, the
results returned are the same. I only get the correct results after I
restart the server. Even if I forced jsp recompilation, the results printed
out will be the same.

Re: Changing Permissions

Posted by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de>.
Hi Russ,

AFAIK permission manip at runtime is supported, at least directly
through the API, but also by using DAV-ACL. Can you provide a direct
link to that statement in the FAQ ?

08.05.2002 08:30:42, "Russ Leong" <ru...@kikuze.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>    I read from the Unofficial Slide FAQ that modification of
permissions
>during run-time is not supported. But is it a feature that is being
planned
>to be implemented? I am asking because I do not find this feature
stated in
>the Status page for Slide. Thanks.
>
>Russ

-chris