Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by James Bromberger <Ja...@jdv.com> on 2001/08/13 11:29:02 UTC

3.2.2, 3.2.3 and shutdown.sh on Solaris 8.

Hello everyone,

YASQ. Yet Another Startup/Shutdown Question.

Out of my now 5 Tomcat servers I have running, one of them has developed a slight problem with shutting down. I have packages of both 3.2.2.and now 3.2.3 for Solaris. I am running this on Solaris 2.6 and 8 and am using Sun's J2SDK 1.3.1 for compiling Tomcat and running servlets

 All instances are the same (its a pkgadd, equivalent to installing a DEB or RPM), but my brand new Solaris 8 box is refusing to shutdown unless sent an explicit kill. Now, I've been running these servers for around 8 months or so and been subscribed to this and the dev list spasmodically over this period, and know about the ASP12 problem; I have *not* disabled ajp12, nor changed it's port. My HTTP connector is active on a different port, and I can access the servlets and JSPs that are part of the default tarball just fine. Everything is working when you startup.sh.,,,

Here is what I get when I shutdown:

------ start system copy and paste -----
# ps -ef |grep tomcat
    root  9296     1  0 19:04:24 pts/5    0:03 /usr/java/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/java -Dtomcat.home=./.. org.apache.to
    root 11207  8580  0 19:19:23 pts/3    0:00 grep tomcat
# pwd
/usr/local/tomcat/3.2.3/bin
# ./shutdown.sh
Guessing TOMCAT_HOME from tomcat.sh to ./..
Setting TOMCAT_HOME to ./..
Using classpath: ./../lib/crimson.jar:./../lib/jasper.jar:./../lib/jaxp.jar:./../lib/jcert.jar:./../lib/jnet.jar:./../lib/jsse.jar:./../lib/pool.jar:./../lib/servlet.jar:./../lib/test:./../lib/webserver.jar:./../lib/xalan.jar:/usr/java/lib/tools.jar
Stop tomcat
# sleep 10
# ps -ef |grep tomcat
    root  9296     1  0 19:04:24 pts/5    0:03 /usr/java/bin/../bin/sparc/native_threads/java -Dtomcat.home=./.. org.apache.to
    root 11291  8580  0 19:19:52 pts/3    0:00 grep tomcat
------ end system copy and paste -----

So, here you can see the process running, you can see the directory I am in, the command I execute, the classpath it assumes, the fact I waited 10 seconds and no further context deactivation was shown, and that it was still running after this. Interestingly, the jasper.log and servlet.log do not show anything for the AJP12 connection to shut it down.

This has been the same with 3.2.2 and now 3.2.3 on this machine. Anyone know what's going on here? I can't see anything in the list archives similar to this.

Many thanks,

	James

--
  James Bromberger,
  Senior Web/Systems Administrator, JDV

JDV - e-Commerce and Outsourcing Solutions for Financial Services
http://www.jdv.com/

Any securities recommendation contained in this document is unsolicited general information only. Do not act on a recommendation without first consulting your investment advisor to determine whether the recommendation is appropriate for your investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs.
JDV  believes that any information or advice (including any securities recommendation) contained in this document is accurate when issued. However, JDV does not warrant its accuracy or reliability. JDV, its officers, agents and employees exclude all liability whatsoever, in negligence or otherwise, for any loss or damage relating to this document to the full extent permitted by law.