Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Richard S. Huntrods" <hu...@nucleus.com> on 2001/12/20 07:37:56 UTC

SSL and W2K vs. Solaris - SOLVED

Greetings!

I have solved the problem I was having with getting SSL to work on
Solaris.  As you may recall, I had it all working on W2K with Tomcat
4.0.1, but could not get it to run under Solaris 8 (SPARC).

The problem was simple, as was the solution.  Java 1.2 (default Java on
Solaris 8) is missing the security components required to support SSL.
I upgraded my Solaris box to 1.3.1, copied the jsse jar files to
JDK/jre/lib/ext (as recommended in the SSL installation documents),
rebooted and all worked the first time - with my certificate created on
the W2K box.

One final question - If I *always* want SSL to be "on" for this server
(i.e. no unsecured pages or servlets), do I comment out the "normal"
server stuff in server.xml and change the SSL port to 8080 (which I'm
using for everything at the moment), or are there additional steps?
Tomcat is running standalone at the moment.

Thanks,

-Richard