Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com> on 2002/12/02 17:36:53 UTC

[VOTE] New Development Direction

This is a vote to clarify whether we want to focus all
our discussions of the new unified container to Avalon 5
(next generation) or Avalon 4.1 (current generation).
Here are the implications:

Avalon 4.1
----------
Current development.  We refine current interfaces so that
the contracts are more universal and testable.  This includes
the semantics we have surrounding Context and Serviceable.
It also means that we can't clean up the cruft.  (deprecated
stuff remains deprecated).

Avalon 5
--------
New development/clean slate.  We leverage our experience with
lifecycle interfaces to provide a starting point, but we do
not limit ourselves to that alone.  We can clean up the cruft,
but we must supply a "Compatibility JAR" to allow easy migration
from Avalon 4.1 to Avalon 5.  We can also shorten the package
names (minor, but sometimes helpful).  It also helps us unify
on a new product.

If we continue version 4.1 development we don't have the
luxury of challenging any of the current lifecycle interfaces
or making things just simply easier to use.

Implied in either action is that the existing containers continue
to live their lives until the new container is complete.

Which is it?  Unified Container == Avalon 4.1 or Avalon 5?

(Voting to remain open as long as necessary [not less than a
week]).

Please provide a quick comment why you made your choice (either
way).

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:36:53AM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Avalon 5
> --------
> New development/clean slate.  We leverage our experience with
> lifecycle interfaces to provide a starting point, but we do
> not limit ourselves to that alone.  We can clean up the cruft,
> but we must supply a "Compatibility JAR" to allow easy migration
> from Avalon 4.1 to Avalon 5.  We can also shorten the package
> names (minor, but sometimes helpful).  It also helps us unify
> on a new product.

	+1. I think now is a good time to do the above. Since we are
	embarking on a fresh container effort, the time feels right (IMO) to
	re-evaluate the contracts under which it runs.

> Implied in either action is that the existing containers continue
> to live their lives until the new container is complete.

	+1. Glad you made that point.

	Cheers,

	Marcus
     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
My suggestion is that the first step be to look at the architecture for
Avalon 5, clean it up, and talk with your clients to see what we think (as
well as see what you think).  Right now a lot of discussions are braked by
issues over how things are done now, rather than the right way to do things.

If people like the new approach(es), then iterate over the various phases of
architecture, design and implementation.  I think that you'll find that if
Avalon 5 is substantially cleaner, leaner, easier, faster, etc., than Avalon
4 then we will not be unhappy.  My guess is that the Framework interfaces
will be relatively stable except in a few areas; most of the major change
will be in how the profile-based container works.

Peter talks about doing more work on Avalon 4 as a learning exercise.  Well,
you've already learned a lot, and you'll always be learning new things.  The
profile approach to container building should enable more rapid development.
And no one has said that the code would be written from scratch.  It doesn't
make sense to talk about code until you get to that point.

Plus, you'll have continued incremental changes on the 4.x series, a
migration plan for Avalon 5 (Avalon/V?), and use of the current containers
to prototype the new contracts.  What's the downside?

This seems like a good time to for clients to prepare for a new approach to
Avalon, as well.  James is preparing for a major overhaul (we'll see how
much actual re-coding we do, but we are giving ourselves permission to make
major changes).  Sounds like Cocoon has a major release planned (did I hear
about a v3?).  Don't know about other client projects, but the developers
ought to be invited to the discussion.  All programs should be
client-driven, Avalon especially so since it exists only as a platform for
client code.

	--- Noel

RE: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Leif Mortenson wrote:
> Berin Loritsch wrote:
>
>> Avalon 5
>> --------
>>
> +1
> I think this would go along well with the new ubercontainer.  Lets make
> sure to
> provide a good upgrade path.  I'll admit, I am still using the ECM with
> components
> implemented as services on most of my projects...  Using the ECMC it is
> quite
> easy to use and is stable.
>
> At some point though I also need to move over, but I have also needed to
> get
> the work paying the bills done and needed something stable to work with.
>
> Where possible, lets try to maintain class and package names so that as
> much
> user code as possible can be used in Avalon 5 without changes.
>
> While doing something new is more fun than maintaining old code, lets make
> sure and all remember the large number of users depending on the APIs that
> we produce. :-)

Thanks Leif for lending me the words to explain better my position.
+1 to the above

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Berin Loritsch wrote:

>Avalon 5
>--------

+1
I think this would go along well with the new ubercontainer.  Lets make
sure to
provide a good upgrade path.  I'll admit, I am still using the ECM with
components
implemented as services on most of my projects...  Using the ECMC it is
quite
easy to use and is stable.

At some point though I also need to move over, but I have also needed to get
the work paying the bills done and needed something stable to work with.

Where possible, lets try to maintain class and package names so that as much
user code as possible can be used in Avalon 5 without changes.

While doing something new is more fun than maintaining old code, lets make
sure and all remember the large number of users depending on the APIs that
we produce. :-)

Cheers,
Leif

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 14:49, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> >Why don't we do both? It is more important to develope a model for 4.1 and
> >continue enhance that where it is required. We can always keep a
> > Framework5 revolution in mind but I think that will fall out of things we
> > do for Framework4.x. ie As we find uglies in Framework4.x we add them to
> > a list of things that we should fix in Framework5.x and if by the time
> > 4.x is finished the list is big enough we move to Framework5.x
>
> We haven't significantly changed Framework 4.1 for a long time.  By
> adding more semantic clarification
> to Framework 4.1, we are effectively defining a 4.2 which is still a new
> version.  Dividing our interests
> between 4.2, 5.0 and 4.1 would be too much work.  Maintaining 4.1 while
> developing 5.0 is a better
> use of our limited resources.

I disagree. 5.0 is a big step and I would want to completely remove large
chunks that were essentially failed experiments. So there needs to be a lot
longer incubation time with 5.0 before it will be ready to be adopted.
However 4.x can easily be improved in the meantime and while improving it we
can always store up a list of things that we find that we would like to kill
in 5.0. The good thing is that these things are motivated by real needs
rather than pie in the sky wants

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and
human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." -Albert Einstein

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> Why don't we do both? It is more important to develope a model for
>> 4.1 and continue enhance that where it is required. We can always
>> keep a Framework5 revolution in mind but I think that will fall out
>> of things we do for Framework4.x. ie As we find uglies in
>> Framework4.x we add them to a list of things that we should fix in
>> Framework5.x and if by the time 4.x is finished the list is big
>> enough we move to Framework5.x
>>

> We haven't significantly changed Framework 4.1 for a long time.  By
> adding more semantic clarification
> to Framework 4.1, we are effectively defining a 4.2 which is still a
> new version.  Dividing our interests
> between 4.2, 5.0 and 4.1 would be too much work.  Maintaining 4.1
> while developing 5.0 is a better
> use of our limited resources.

And perhaps the maintainace of 4.1 while developing 4.2 is possibly
closer to invested interests.

;-)

--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.

Posted by Marcus Crafter <cr...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Just taking care of paperwork - my vote on this is +1 on Avalon 5.

Cheers, Steve.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Berin:

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.
Point taken, Paul.

Keep in mind that compliance is measured in
terms of Framework version.  If a container is 4.1 compliant,
then it is compliant to Avalon Framework 4.1 specifications.
If a container is 5.0 compliant, then it is compliant to Avalon
Framework 5.0 specifications.

We will have to write Avalon Framework 5.0, and the compliant
container if we choose that path.  We haven't discussed naming
yet, and we are determining which Framework version we are
working to be compatible with.

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@citi-us.com>.
> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@citi-us.com]

<snip/>

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
As an Avalon client, I (non-)"vote" for Avalon 5.

For one thing, the current discussions indicate that consensus and clarity
needs to be regained on fundamental architectural issues.

As a part of moving towards Avalon 5, I'd like to see the core notions
revisited and clarified as an essential exercise towards defining the
architecture and design.  Avalon 4.1 would not have that same freedom.  This
should not be interpreted as throwing out the old, but it seems to me that
if the currently implemented ideas were as clear, well-defined, and agreed
upon as they ought to be, that the current discussions amongst long time
Avalon members wouldn't differ on architectural issues.

I agree that "existing containers continue to live their lives until the new
container is complete."  Existing containers should also be used to
prototype the external contracts while the new internals are being readied.

	--- Noel

Re: [VOTE] New Development Direction

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Monday, December 2, 2002, at 11:36  AM, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Which is it?  Unified Container == Avalon 4.1 or Avalon 5?

Avalon 4.5

There are many many people building atop of the 4.x framework. We owe
it to our users to keep a stable base. I would like to see the unified
container built upon the current framework. This is so that James,
Phoenix, Cocoon and any other consumers will have a DEAD SIMPLE
migration path.

First lets bring everything together, make it a cohesive whole, and
then take the giant step forward together. If we don't build upon the
framework that we already have, the unified container discussions will
get bogged down in what the 5.0 framework should entail.
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org