Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Angel Todorov <at...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/09 15:17:47 UTC

[Axis2] Proposal: Remote Admin & Deploy servlets

Hi All,

I think it would be good to have the following functionality in Axis2,
with respect to deployment and administration:

- remote deployment servlet -> receives HTTP requests for
deploy/undeployment of services (can also have listing of services as
a helper). Deployment archives can be sent using multipart.
Authentication should be supported as well. The communication protocol
would be minimal in terms of abundance of info (no HTML ,etc.).

- remote admin servlet -> same as the above but for administration,
starting and stopping of services and modules, health monitoring.

The above can extend from AxisServlet on one hand, and the AbstractAgent.

These also require a deploy client API as well. The implementation of
that can be integrated in an eclipse plugin, as a standalone console
application, or in any way, in general.

I have started doing the above and would like to contribute it at some
point. Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Best Regards,
Angel

Re: [Axis2] Proposal: Remote Admin & Deploy servlets

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Perfect! if you need us to change methods from private to protected or
any such refactoring, just let us know.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Angel Todorov <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi Davanum,

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Angel,

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Angel and All;

In WSO2 WSAS it has a service which does both Service and Module
deployment using MTOM attachment , and it is under Apache license too.
Therefore  we will be able to use that Service in Axis2 (with some
modification if we want , so opportunity for patches  :) ).

http://wso2.org/repos/wso2/trunk/wsas/java/modules/admin/src/org/wso2/wsas/admin/service/GlobalAdmin.java

Thanks
Deepal

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Angel ;
> [...]
a service to deploy and unDeploy other services. Then you can send the
service you want to deploy as a MTOM attachment. Then the service can
get the attachment and deploy the way he like
 - He might drop the attachment into service directory as an .aar file
- Or he can make the attachment into a service

Thanks
Deepal

> Hi,
>
> Yes that is fine. A service will also work and I actually like this
> more than the servlet. The issue I was thinking about in that case is
> whether it would be possible to obtain the deployengine instance
> created by the AxisServlet (not directly). Normally a servlet would
> obtain that through the Servlet context. But i am sure there would be
> a way to do this easily with a web service as well. Thanks for the
> feedback.
>
> Regards,
> Angel
>
> On 2/9/07, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:
>
>> Hi Angel,
>>
>> First of all, welcome to the dev community and I look forward to seeing
>> more contributons from you!
>>
>> I'm +1 in having a remote deployment capability. However, I can't see
>> why we don't write a simple Web service with deploy()/undeploy() etc.
>> methods, use MTOM/XOP for sending the aar files and use the REST/POX
>> stuff to get a clean HTTP binding for it. That way we don't need to
>> write another servlet or anthing- you just write a service and the user
>> deploys it if they want remote deployment. Of course if the user is
>> smart they'd secure that service a little bit.
>>
>> The other advantage is that this'll work on all transports .. one could
>> envision sending an email to the service to deploy stuff. On an IM over
>> XMPP.
>>
>> Sanjiva.
>>
>> On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 16:17 +0200, Angel Todorov wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I think it would be good to have the following functionality in Axis2,
>> > with respect to deployment and administration:
>> >
>> > - remote deployment servlet -> receives HTTP requests for
>> > deploy/undeployment of services (can also have listing of services as
>> > a helper). Deployment archives can be sent using multipart.
>> > Authentication should be supported as well. The communication protocol
>> > would be minimal in terms of abundance of info (no HTML ,etc.).
>> >
>> > - remote admin servlet -> same as the above but for administration,
>> > starting and stopping of services and modules, health monitoring.
>> >
>> > The above can extend from AxisServlet on one hand, and the
>> AbstractAgent.
>> >
>> > These also require a deploy client API as well. The implementation of
>> > that can be integrated in an eclipse plugin, as a standalone console
>> > application, or in any way, in general.
>> >
>> > I have started doing the above and would like to contribute it at some
>> > point. Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Deepal

Re: [Axis2] Proposal: Remote Admin & Deploy servlets

Posted by Angel Todorov <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Angel,

First of all, welcome to the dev community and I look forward to seeing
more contributons from you!

I'm +1 in having a remote deployment capability. However, I can't see
why we don't write a simple Web service with deploy()/undeploy() etc.
methods, use MTOM/XOP for sending the aar files and use the REST/POX
stuff to get a clean HTTP binding for it. That way we don't need to
write another servlet or anthing- you just write a service and the user
deploys it if they want remote deployment. Of course if the user is
smart they'd secure that service a little bit.

The other advantage is that this'll work on all transports .. one could
envision sending an email to the service to deploy stuff. On an IM over
XMPP.

Sanjiva.

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 16:17 +0200, Angel Todorov wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I think it would be good to have the following functionality in Axis2,
> with respect to deployment and administration:
>
> - remote deployment servlet -> receives HTTP requests for
> deploy/undeployment of services (can also have listing of services as
> a helper). Deployment archives can be sent using multipart.
> Authentication should be supported as well. The communication protocol
> would be minimal in terms of abundance of info (no HTML ,etc.).
>
> - remote admin servlet -> same as the above but for administration,
> starting and stopping of services and modules, health monitoring.
>
> The above can extend from AxisServlet on one hand, and the AbstractAgent.
>
> These also require a deploy client API as well. The implementation of
> that can be integrated in an eclipse plugin, as a standalone console
> application, or in any way, in general.
>
> I have started doing the above and would like to contribute it at some
> point. Your feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Best Regards,
> Angel

Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.