Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Ed Young <ej...@summitbid.com> on 2009/05/06 18:37:03 UTC

Re: Calculating content length

I'm confused as to what you mean by "Just pass the string to a function that
returns it's length".

The only functions I'm aware of in jmeter are the ones documented in section
19 of the manual:
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html

Is there a way to create my own? Everything I see in the doc indicates built
in functions, but no indication of how to create a custom one.

I started by trying to use the __javaScript() function but abandoned it
because I was unable to pass in my string + user variables and execute the
length method on it.

Now I'm experimenting with the BeanShell Preprocessor for the first time,
which looks promising, but seems like there should be an easier way to
simply calculate a string with embedded user variables.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 7:13 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 29/04/2009, Ed Young <ej...@summitbid.com> wrote:
> > Is there a way to calculate the length of some string, including any
> >  embedded variables?
>
> Why do you need to do this?
>
> >  It would have to first expand the variables and then do the
> calculation...
>
> Just pass the string to a function that returns its length; variables
> are resolved before the function is called.

- Ed

Re: Calculating content length

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 06/05/2009, Ed Young <ej...@summitbid.com> wrote:
> I'm confused as to what you mean by "Just pass the string to a function that
>  returns it's length".
>
>  The only functions I'm aware of in jmeter are the ones documented in section
>  19 of the manual:
>  http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/functions.html
>
>  Is there a way to create my own? Everything I see in the doc indicates built
>  in functions, but no indication of how to create a custom one.
>
>  I started by trying to use the __javaScript() function but abandoned it
>  because I was unable to pass in my string + user variables and execute the
>  length method on it.

That's what I meant.

What did you try?

__javaScript("This is a string".length)

works for me.

So does

__javaScript("Started at ${START.HMS}".length)

>  Now I'm experimenting with the BeanShell Preprocessor for the first time,
>  which looks promising, but seems like there should be an easier way to
>  simply calculate a string with embedded user variables.

See above.