Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Folly <st...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/11/26 12:24:58 UTC

Partial solution to partial-checkout problem?

Hi,

Like many others using Subversion, our repository is made up of
multiple software projects which share common sub-libraries.

I wasn't really getting anywhere with trying to workaround the
problems of partial checkouts, then it occurred to me to turn the
problem on it's head:

Our repository isn't *that* big [1] so we could probably live with a
full main trunk checkout for development.  The thing that was
naggining me is that when we then tag a project for a release by just
copying the main trunk we would end up with non-relevant projects in
the tag.

So I thought, well why not tag the whole trunk, but then just delete
the bits that aren't necessary in the tags/XXX directory?

For example, the repository is:

trunk/
	proj1/
	proj2/
	subproj1/
	subproj2/
	subproj3/

proj1 needs subproj1 and subproj2, whereas proj2 needs subproj1,
subproj2 and subproj3.

To release proj1 I need to:

	svn copy <repo>/trunk <repo>/tags/proj1-1.0
	svn delete <repo>/tags/proj1-1.0/proj2
	svn delete <repo>/tags/proj1-1.0/subproj3

And likewise to release proj2 I need to:

	svn copy <repo>/trunk <repo>/tags/proj2-1.0
	svn delete <repo>/tags/proj1-1.0/proj1

This seems to be a nice compromise, but will it really work in
practice? I will be testing this out, but I thought I'd post my idea
here just to run it past the experts! Comments welcome.

Thanks.

[1] yeah, I know - not *that* big _at the moment_ !!
Steve.