Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca> on 2002/01/16 05:41:53 UTC

DocBook

There has been a long thread on  docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
regarding difficulties in creating a full DocBook toolchain.  Having just
discovered the wonders of the Cocoon "mount" subdirectory, and given that
DocBook has been mentioned in a few emails here, I had the following silly
idea:

Why not include, as a part of the standard Cocoon distribution, a "docbook"
  subdirectory, along with the DocBook stylesheets?  The following URLs
would be defined:

.../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.docbook -> shows a "tidied" view of the
source document
.../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.fo -> shows a "tidied" view of the resulting
FO transformation
.../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.html -> show the result of FO->HTML
.../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.pdf -> show the result of FO->PDF
.../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.rtf -> show the result of FO->RTF

If I remember my matchers and selectors correctly, this should all be
doable in a single pipeline.

What does this add to the distribution?
   - a small change to the default sitemap
   - the DocBook XSL stylesheets
   - (optionally) a FO->RTF renderer
   - (possibly) some entries in the catalog resolver

What does this do for Cocoon and the wider community?
   - provides a "drop-in" DocBook toolchain,
       - Download & install Tomcat; Download Cocoon and copy cocoon.war;
copy DocBook file; done!
   - showcases Cocoon to the DocBook community
   - prepares us for future documentation work

Not having proven that this can work (yet!), it nonetheless looks like a
nice way to promote Cocoon, prepare for our own documentation, and make
life easier for a lot of people (including me).  Someone out there in
Cocoon-land must have proven that Cocoon can handle DocBook, and if it can'
t I would consider this a problem, and so the work required to implement
this shouldn't be that bad.

Thoughts?

Jason Foster

Re: DocBook

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Jason Foster wrote:

> There has been a long thread on  docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
> regarding difficulties in creating a full DocBook toolchain.  Having just
> discovered the wonders of the Cocoon "mount" subdirectory, and given that
> DocBook has been mentioned in a few emails here, I had the following silly
> idea:
>
> Why not include, as a part of the standard Cocoon distribution, a "docbook"
>   subdirectory, along with the DocBook stylesheets?  The following URLs
> would be defined:
>
> .../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.docbook -> shows a "tidied" view of the
> source document
> .../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.fo -> shows a "tidied" view of the resulting
> FO transformation
> .../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.html -> show the result of FO->HTML
> .../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.pdf -> show the result of FO->PDF
> .../cocoon/docbook/mydocument.rtf -> show the result of FO->RTF
>
> If I remember my matchers and selectors correctly, this should all be
> doable in a single pipeline.
>
> What does this add to the distribution?
>    - a small change to the default sitemap
>    - the DocBook XSL stylesheets
>    - (optionally) a FO->RTF renderer
>    - (possibly) some entries in the catalog resolver
>
> What does this do for Cocoon and the wider community?
>    - provides a "drop-in" DocBook toolchain,
>        - Download & install Tomcat; Download Cocoon and copy cocoon.war;
> copy DocBook file; done!
>    - showcases Cocoon to the DocBook community
>    - prepares us for future documentation work
>
> Not having proven that this can work (yet!), it nonetheless looks like a
> nice way to promote Cocoon, prepare for our own documentation, and make
> life easier for a lot of people (including me).  Someone out there in
> Cocoon-land must have proven that Cocoon can handle DocBook, and if it can'
> t I would consider this a problem, and so the work required to implement
> this shouldn't be that bad.
>
> Thoughts?

I'll be +1 on accepting this donations, but don't count me on helping
out directly.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: DocBook

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Wednesday 16 January 2002 05:41, Jason Foster wrote:
> Why not include, as a part of the standard Cocoon distribution, a "docbook"
>   subdirectory, along with the DocBook stylesheets?

I have no right to vote but +1 for me
Wouldn't add much size to the distribution, useful, and I find it good to
promote DocBook along with Cocoon.

--
 -- Bertrand Delacrétaz, www.codeconsult.ch
 -- web technologies consultant - OO, Java, XML, C++

Re: DocBook

Posted by Patrick Reuter <pa...@gmx.de>.
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
>
>> (this is also a blatant call for help :) I keep getting a
>> "'master-name' for 'fo:page-sequence'matches no 'simple-page-master'
>> or 'page-sequence-master'" FOPException which AFAIK is just not true:
>> page-sequence has a correct master-reference attribute).
>

> Me too :). I'm still using v. 1.45 because 1.48 gives this error.
>
>     Ugo

Hi,

the error occurs because docbook 1.48 ist XSLFO-spec-conform and FOP is
not spec conform at the moment. And this won't change before the next
FOP release :-(

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook-apps/2001-q4/msg00683.html

By the way, the docbook-v.1.45-FOP rendering ist far from being optimal.
  Tables dont't work :-(

But the docbook-v.1.48-html version is great :-)

patrick

Re: DocBook

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it

Re: DocBook

Posted by Jason Foster <ja...@uwaterloo.ca>.
> I like the idea. The only problem that I might foresee, as of now, is the
> pretty fast evolution cycle of the stylesheets themselves (someone will
> need to keep at least the CVS up to date) not to mention possible bugs:
> at this moment I can't make the fo XSL work with FOP, so it might be
> quite deceiving for the user not being able to produce PDFs out of the
> box.

The stylesheets are definately evolving, but if you trust Norman's
releases, they seem to happen maybe 3-4 times I year, IIRC.  Given that
Excalibur/Xerces/Xalan seem to have new libs released every month or so, I
don't see this as a huge deal.

Then again, I'm not likely to be the one doing the committing :)

With respect to your problems, as far as I can tell from the other mailing
list, *if* you use the provided extensions to Xalan, then the stylesheets
work fine.

This does bring up the question of whether it is possible/straightforward
to use Xalan extensions in Cocoon?

Jason Foster

Re: DocBook

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Jason Foster wrote:

 > Why not include, as a part of the standard Cocoon distribution, a
"docbook"

>  subdirectory, along with the DocBook stylesheets?  The following URLs
> would be defined:

I like the idea. The only problem that I might foresee, as of now, is
the pretty fast evolution cycle of the stylesheets themselves (someone
will need to keep at least the CVS up to date) not to mention possible
bugs: at this moment I can't make the fo XSL work with FOP, so it might
be quite deceiving for the user not being able to produce PDFs out of
the box.

(this is also a blatant call for help :) I keep getting a "'master-name'
for 'fo:page-sequence'matches no 'simple-page-master' or
'page-sequence-master'" FOPException which AFAIK is just not true:
page-sequence has a correct master-reference attribute).

I hope this is only me doing something wrong: in case we were to ship
the Docbook XSLs, this would have been a showstopper.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino