Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Oftenwrong Soong <of...@yahoo.com> on 2009/03/14 02:03:57 UTC

Trouble compiling 1.5.6

Hi all,

I'm compiling svn 1.5.6 but libtool complains there is no /usr/lib/libexpat.a. This is Mac OS X 10.5.6. I have /usr/lib/libexpat.dylib and the text file /usr/lib/libexpat.la. Notably it is using its own copy of libtool located under apr in the build tree. Is this proper?

Steps I took: Just unpacked subversion-1.5.6.tar.gz and subversion-deps-1.5.6.tar.gz to form a single directory, entered it, ./configure && make.

The last output before make quits:

/Users/pete/subversion-1.5.6/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc  -static -o test/serf_get libserf-0.la test/serf_get.lo /Users/pete/subversion-1.5.6/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la -lsqlite3 -lexpat -liconv  /Users/pete/subversion-1.5.6/apr/libapr-1.la -lpthread -lz -lssl -lcrypto
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1: /usr/lib/libexpat.a: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [test/serf_get] Error 1
make: *** [external-all] Error 1

Btw I prefer not to install any of the 3 binary packages because each brings with it things I wish to avoid. :)

Thanks,
Pete

Re: Trouble compiling 1.5.6

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 13, 2009, at 21:03, Oftenwrong Soong wrote:

> I'm compiling svn 1.5.6 but libtool complains there is no /usr/lib/
> libexpat.a. This is Mac OS X 10.5.6. I have /usr/lib/libexpat.dylib
> and the text file /usr/lib/libexpat.la. Notably it is using its own
> copy of libtool located under apr in the build tree. Is this proper?
>
> Steps I took: Just unpacked subversion-1.5.6.tar.gz and subversion-
> deps-1.5.6.tar.gz to form a single directory, entered it, ./
> configure && make.
>
> The last output before make quits:
>
> /Users/pete/subversion-1.5.6/apr/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc  -
> static -o test/serf_get libserf-0.la test/serf_get.lo /Users/pete/
> subversion-1.5.6/apr-util/libaprutil-1.la -lsqlite3 -lexpat -
> liconv  /Users/pete/subversion-1.5.6/apr/libapr-1.la -lpthread -lz -
> lssl -lcrypto
> i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1: /usr/lib/libexpat.a: No such file or
> directory
> make[1]: *** [test/serf_get] Error 1
> make: *** [external-all] Error 1
>
> Btw I prefer not to install any of the 3 binary packages because
> each brings with it things I wish to avoid. :)

Have you considered using MacPorts to install Subversion? You can get
it here:

http://www.macports.org/

And then install Subversion by opening a terminal window and typing

sudo port sync
sudo port install subversion

If you don't want to use MacPorts to install Subversion, you can
still read our portfiles to discover how we are compiling Subversion.

Re: Trouble compiling 1.5.6

Posted by Oftenwrong Soong <of...@yahoo.com>.
Hi All,

> I'm compiling svn 1.5.6 but libtool complains there is no
> /usr/lib/libexpat.a. This is Mac OS X 10.5.6.

I figured it out.

I've seen this exact question asked elsewhere but not answered, so for future reference:

Previously I said I untarred and ran ./configure && make. I forgot to mention that a parent directory had a space in its name. configure stopped halfway because the space was not escaped correctly. I moved subversion-1.5.6/ to the root of my home and ran ./configure && make again. It now complained about libexpat.a halfway through the build.

configure caches its results for the next run. Because it produced garbage the first time, the whole build got borked.

I simply removed the whole directory and started over. It built correctly this time without a hitch.

Thanks to Ryan for trying to help. I will look at MacPorts but I generally shy away from package managers because they tend to pull in a ton of stuff.

Pete