Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <de...@me.com> on 2009/11/22 05:29:58 UTC

Community, Releasing and Forking... oh my! (was Re: OFBiz in Canada?)

Anyone can certainly create a forked project at any time. Some have
even done so, with varying levels of success. BTW, if you look at the
actual experiences of projects that have forked from OFBiz, be careful
to recognize what is marketing material intended to attract users, and
what represents actual happenings in the projects.

In any case, I hope not to beat a dead horse... but it sounds like
this proposal is for those who are not currently contributing much to
OFBiz and who are not happy with how certain things are to split off
and work on what they think is important... plus take on everything
else that the current OFBiz community does.

Wouldn't it be easier to work with others in the community so that you
can focus on contributing in areas that you think are most important?
If anyone doesn't think that's easier, then by all means try the
approach you think is easier, and just commit to revisiting the
question in 2-3 years after you've had a chance to really get into it.

If after reading this you (whoever is reading this) is still
interested in my opinion, here is a blog post from a while back that I
think is directly relevant:

http://osofbiz.blogspot.com/2008/01/glass-cathedrals-and-community-versus.html

-David