Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Jason Rennie <jr...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/10 23:18:49 UTC

Hadoop Quickstart page

I just ran through this as a new user and had trouble w/ the JAVA_HOME
setting.  Per the instructions, I had JAVA_HOME set appropriately (via my
.bashrc), but not in conf/hadoop-env.sh.  Would be good if "1." under
"Required Software" specified where JAVA_HOME should be set.

http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/quickstart.html

Cheers,

Jason

P.S. Very nice that there is a quick start like this.  So many projects lack
something like this to get you started...

Re: Hadoop Quickstart page

Posted by Jason Rennie <jr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> Jason - it is specified a bit lower down in the 'Download' section.
> Point taken, we should clarify it.

Ah, I see.  Probably missed that since I though I had already set JAVA_HOME
properly.

> Do you want to go ahead and file a documentation request (https://
> issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa<http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue%21default.jspa>)
> ? Thanks!

Just did that.  Thanks for the pointer.

Jason

Re: Hadoop Quickstart page

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Mar 10, 2008, at 3:18 PM, Jason Rennie wrote:

> I just ran through this as a new user and had trouble w/ the JAVA_HOME
> setting.  Per the instructions, I had JAVA_HOME set appropriately
> (via my
> .bashrc), but not in conf/hadoop-env.sh.  Would be good if "1." under
> "Required Software" specified where JAVA_HOME should be set.
>
> http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/quickstart.html

Jason - it is specified a bit lower down in the 'Download' section.
Point taken, we should clarify it.

Do you want to go ahead and file a documentation request (https://
issues.apache.org/jira/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa) ? Thanks!

Arun