Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Josh Knowles <Jo...@worldwidepackets.com> on 2001/10/08 22:22:05 UTC

webapps

I am trying to understand the usage behind the different webapps but I still
haven't found a good reason as to why you would want more then just the
"root" webapp.  Can someone either give me a better explanation of them or
point me to a location where I can find one.

Thanks,

~josh

Re: webapps

Posted by Craig Tataryn <ne...@computer-programmer.org>.
Hi Josh.  One good reason is that with some servlet containers you can
just deploy web applications without bothering anyone else who is using
the Servlet container.  Another good reason is that you automatically
get your own class loader.  This comes in handy for when you want to use
component vX.x and somebody else is using the servlet container is using
component vY.y.  If you deployed your servlets "the old fashion way",
both of you would have to use vX.x or vY.y whereas with webapps, you can
just use the version of the component you want to use for your web
application.

Hope that makes sense (and I hope I got it right),

<tataryn:craig/>