Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pfingstl Gernot <ge...@stmk.gv.at> on 2002/12/19 16:39:44 UTC

JDK or is JRE sufficient?

In RUNNING.txt there is the sentence, that I have to install a JDK before running TOMCAT - is there a possibility to run TOMCAT in conjunction with the JRE only? (On our HP-UX, there's only JRE installed).

If yes, is there some guideline what to change, because in the startup scripts there will be checked if jdo and javac is present.

Thanks,
Gernot

Re: JDK or is JRE sufficient?

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@msoft.com>.
The JDK is required to compile the JSPs, as they are converted into Java
source code and then compiled into servlets.

However, if you application relies soley on servlets, or pre-compiled JSPs,
then there is no need for the JDK and the JRE would be adequate.

Simply change the startup scripts to faciliate that.

Regards,

Will Hartung
(willh@msoft.com)

Re: JDK or is JRE sufficient?

Posted by Kristján Bjarni Guðmundsson <kr...@hugvit.is>.
I can't speak for the HP-UX JVM but I am running Tomcat with just the JRE
in Windows.

The steps to do that are:

1) Copy the tools.jar from the JSDK to the lib directory in the JRE, this
contains
the java compiler library, used for compiling JSP pages.

2) Modify the startup script for Tomcat (setclasspath.bat) and remove the
checks for
jdb.exe and javac.exe

"Pfingstl Gernot" <ge...@stmk.gv.at> wrote on 19.12.2002
15:39:44: