Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sean Schofield <ne...@schof.com> on 2002/12/19 13:26:14 UTC

[lang] FastDateFormat questions

Here's where I am at with FastDateFormat.  I changed the package name
(to org.apache.commons.lang.time.)  I also pulled down the source code
for Pair that it required.  I noticed that Pair seemed like the
DefaultMapEntry in commons-collections (am I wrong?)  Is commons-lang
allowed to have dependencies with commons-collections or should we try
to avaoid that?  (My guess is you will say avoid.)

I'm thinking of making Pair just an inner class for FastDateFormat since
we probably don't need it elsewhere.  Perhaps there is an existing java
class that I am not aware of that could replace it entirely?

Finally, I wrote a few unit tests for FastDateFormat.  Once we resolve
the Pair issue I'd like to submit FastDateFormat and FastDateFormatTests
to be added to CVS.  Do we need all of the unit tests to be complete
before adding?  There are a lot to write and I know Eric, and others are
also volunteering to help here.

- sean

Re: [lang] FastDateFormat questions

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Sean Schofield wrote:

> My paying job  is keeping me busy but I hope to have all of this done by
> end of next week.  My hope is that once this is done we can get back to
> discussing where to go from there and make some decisions on what should
> go in to the time subpackage.

Sounds good.

> Hopefully those that expressed interest earleir are still on board with
> this.  I think it will be a nice addition to commons-lang if we keep it
> tight and limit features to those that solve very general problems.

Yep. I think Ola's email a little bit back is a very good philosophy for
Lang to work to. Is this usable in _every_ problem domain. With that we
should be able to keep things tight.

Hen

Re: [lang] FastDateFormat questions

Posted by Sean Schofield <ne...@schof.com>.
I'm back (after a long-awaited break for the holidays.)

I agree that we should avoid using commons-colelctions.  I will make it
an inner class of FastDateFormat instead.  I'll also hold off on
submitting it until I have a complete set of test cases (or at least
what I perceive to be complete.)

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
From: "Sean Schofield" <ne...@schof.com>