Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl> on 2010/12/30 15:10:45 UTC

api compatibility auditing

On 30-12-10 13:16, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> I noticed you were experimenting with source version auditing, how did
> that go?

I have verification working on class level, against sun jdk 1.5
signatures. The only problem i see is that we cannot edit the signatures
right now. Craigh suggested a tool based on interface definitions, i
should have a look at it as well, but that one requires us to code up
all signatures manually so it seems.

Did you have a look already at animal-sniffer? A run with CDC signatures
could start verification for that platform. The problem is, i cannot
find a CDC signatures file.

Gr. Sim

Re: api compatibility auditing

Posted by Sim IJskes - QCG <si...@qcg.nl>.
On 30-12-10 22:34, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
>> On 30-12-10 13:16, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>>> I noticed you were experimenting with source version auditing, how did
>>> that go?
>>
>> I have verification working on class level, against sun jdk 1.5
>> signatures. The only problem i see is that we cannot edit the
>> signatures right now. Craigh suggested a tool based on interface
>> definitions, i should have a look at it as well, but that one requires
>> us to code up all signatures manually so it seems.
>>
>> Did you have a look already at animal-sniffer? A run with CDC
>> signatures could start verification for that platform. The problem is,
>> i cannot find a CDC signatures file.
>
> I don't really understand the purpose of all this. Even if a method
> exists in 1.4, we would still need to test with a 1.4 JVM to be sure the
> code works under 1.4.

It's what i would call a compromise. It is a very extensive process this
QA testing. Animal sniffer does what i says. Verifying what methods with
what signature are called outside of river. It is not perfect. No
testing ever is. I'm happy with it. Until someone comes along and builds
us a super duper N*M platform compatibility testing framework. Until
that moment i see the verification as valuable. Not definitive, but
valuable.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
Sim IJskes - QCG wrote:
> On 30-12-10 13:16, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>> I noticed you were experimenting with source version auditing, how did
>> that go?
>
> I have verification working on class level, against sun jdk 1.5
> signatures. The only problem i see is that we cannot edit the signatures
> right now. Craigh suggested a tool based on interface definitions, i
> should have a look at it as well, but that one requires us to code up
> all signatures manually so it seems.
>
> Did you have a look already at animal-sniffer? A run with CDC signatures
> could start verification for that platform. The problem is, i cannot
> find a CDC signatures file.

I don't really understand the purpose of all this. Even if a method
exists in 1.4, we would still need to test with a 1.4 JVM to be sure the
code works under 1.4.

I would prefer a QA-based strategy:

1. Make sure the framework allows for configuration of JVM version for
each service.

2. Go over any QA tests that need 1.5, to see if they can reasonably
easily be modified for 1.4, and fix as many as possible.

Given that, do QA tests by default with each component at its minimum
supported Java version, and also do special runs with everything at the
maximum version, currently Java 6.

Does this make any sense?

Or maybe we should just go to Java 5, compile and test with Java 5, and
consider a subset for 1.4-only devices as a special project?

Patricia

Re: api compatibility auditing

Posted by Wade Chandler <hw...@yahoo.com>.
> On 30-12-10 13:16, Peter Firmstone wrote:
> > I noticed you were  experimenting with source version auditing, how did
> > that go?
>
> I  have verification working on class level, against sun jdk 1.5 signatures.
>The  only problem i see is that we cannot edit the signatures right now. Craigh
>suggested a tool based on interface definitions, i should have a look at it as
>well, but that one requires us to code up all signatures manually so it  seems.
>
> Did you have a look already at animal-sniffer? A run with CDC  signatures could
>start verification for that platform. The problem is, i cannot  find a CDC
>signatures file.

Should be able to use the Ant tasks to generate signatures. Just requires
pointing to a classpath from what I understood. Should work for generating a CDC
signature file. If you don't get time soon, I'll see if I can find some to play
with animal-sniffer.

Wade

Wade Chandler
Software Engineer and Developer
NetBeans Dream Team Member and Contributor

http://www.netbeans.org