Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by William Ferguson <wi...@mincom.com> on 2000/07/06 02:17:32 UTC

RE: Problem building ant with JDK1.3 modern

Since the distinction between the classic and modern switches for the
Javac task hasn't/can't be implemented, wouldn't it be appropriate to
remove the option in the code and doc?

William Ferguson

delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this E-mail are the
opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Mincom Limited unless
expressly stated otherwise.

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.

Actually, it is a topic that comes up regularly :-)

> As you suggested I have downloaded recent (5th July) source and will use
> that (it has some olther features I want anyway).
>
> BTW All the recent binaries appear to be zero length .. ? Is this
> because of the changes to the nightly builds lately? Soory if this seems
> a stupid question, but I'm relatively new to this list.

No its not a stupid question. The old nightly build process does not
bootstrap ant but simply builds ant with an existing copy of ant itself.
Normally that is OK. If, however, a new feature is introduced into ant and
immediately used in ant's own build.xml file, the old version of ant will
not be able to build the new version. This is why the old nightly build
process is failing.

Sam Ruby has introduced a new nightly build process for ant which bootstraps
ant to avoid this problem. Ant now has its own nightly build which is good.

Conor

RE: Problem building ant with JDK1.3 modern

Posted by William Ferguson <wi...@mincom.com>.
Conor,

williamf@mincom.com

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.