Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by soap beginner <so...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2001/09/29 10:27:37 UTC

SOAP over RMI, Pointless?

We have a requirement do let a client call services on
our server using XML messages. We think SOAP fits this
bill. However , we have problems persuading the
cusomter to use HTTP. Is it too much of an overhead to
use SOAP over RMI? Are they meant to be a similar
thing?

This isn't the main point of my question.
If we decided that we were going to use SOAP over RMI,
we need a good way to access SOAP on the server side.
ie bypassing the servlet. I have looked at the source
code for the servlet. It does a lot of stuff HTTP
dependant. I have also looked at RPCRouter.java. This
seems to be what I need to call SOAP from a stateless
session EJB for example. However I think I could give
Envelope.unmarshall an XML SOAP document, but from
what I can see this is far away from what I need to
do.
I suspect the SOAP services will still be administered
using the servlet. The issue I think I will have will
be classloaders in WLS 6.1. ie the WAR file where SOAP
will be, would be in a child classloader of the EJB
(in the same EAR). Therefore any servicemanager
objects or any singletons may exist more than once.
Will this be a problem? Has anybody got any example
code to go from a SOAP request XML document, to a
calling a SOAP service (living in the same process),
but administered by the web app?

I hope this makes a little bit fo sense ;-)

Any help appreciated

Paul

RE: SOAP over RMI, Pointless?

Posted by graham glass <gr...@mindspring.com>.
try GLUE: http://www.themindelectric.com

cheers,
graham

Posted by soap beginner <so...@yahoo.co.uk>.
I am happy to pass XML as a big string.
So problem solved!

However now for RPCrRouter usage.

 --- Francis Ho <fh...@post.com> wrote: >
> well, now I am getting confused.  Please clarify
> your requirements, are you
> required to make use of XML-RPC calls or are you
> just passing XML data?
>
> If you are just passing XML data, you can pass it as
> a big string using RMI,
> CORBA, JMS or whatever.  Or if you have a primarily
> Java components, why not
> just pass serialised JavaBeans (ala RMI), and just
> transform them at your VB
> endpoints into XML using something like JAXB.
>

> francis

=== message truncated ===

RE: SOAP over RMI, Pointless?

Posted by soap beginner <so...@yahoo.co.uk>.

 --- Francis Ho <fh...@post.com> wrote: >
> well, now I am getting confused.  Please clarify
> your requirements, are you
> required to make use of XML-RPC calls or are you
> just passing XML data?
>
> If you are just passing XML data, you can pass it as
> a big string using RMI,
> CORBA, JMS or whatever.  Or if you have a primarily
> Java components, why not
> just pass serialised JavaBeans (ala RMI), and just
> transform them at your VB
> endpoints into XML using something like JAXB.
>

> francis

=== message truncated ===

RE: SOAP over RMI, Pointless?

Posted by Francis Ho <fh...@post.com>.