Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/30 05:22:57 UTC

Edit Entries - Filter: Adding a content filter

The edit entries page has a filter on the right hand side which allows
you to filter by category, status, date etc. There's no way to filter
by content (be it in the title or the text), and Carrie's asked for
this feature. Her actual bug/feature-lack report is that there is no
way for a blog author to search through her entries; just a way for
users to do it and then only if the blog author has kept the search
for users.

So I started to look into adding the feature. Pretty simple really,
standard jump along the tiers adding a new attribute struts code. 4
files or so to change to get the feature added.

The problem I've hit is that the filter maps pretty simply onto the
getWeblogEntries set of methods, and these are the methods that (quite
obviously) are the lynchpin of the whole system. So, do I:

a) Blindly add 'String content' pretty much everywhere.
b) Create a feature specific part of the system, ie)
filterWeblogEntries [possibly with a dynamic filter object instead of
a long parameter list]
c) Add a separate Search section to the edit-entries page, and hook
this up to the Lucene stuff.

Any ideas?

Hen

Re: Edit Entries - Filter: Adding a content filter

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.
On Dec 29, 2005, at 11:22 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> The edit entries page has a filter on the right hand side which allows
> you to filter by category, status, date etc. There's no way to filter
> by content (be it in the title or the text), and Carrie's asked for
> this feature. Her actual bug/feature-lack report is that there is no
> way for a blog author to search through her entries; just a way for
> users to do it and then only if the blog author has kept the search
> for users.
>
> So I started to look into adding the feature. Pretty simple really,
> standard jump along the tiers adding a new attribute struts code. 4
> files or so to change to get the feature added.
>
> The problem I've hit is that the filter maps pretty simply onto the
> getWeblogEntries set of methods, and these are the methods that (quite
> obviously) are the lynchpin of the whole system. So, do I:
>
> a) Blindly add 'String content' pretty much everywhere.
> b) Create a feature specific part of the system, ie)
> filterWeblogEntries [possibly with a dynamic filter object instead of
> a long parameter list]
> c) Add a separate Search section to the edit-entries page, and hook
> this up to the Lucene stuff.

I would do it by using the same approach as that used on the Comments
page,
which allows search via keyword and allows next/prev paging through
entries.

- Dave