Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2010/05/06 01:20:42 UTC

Should DatabaseMetaData.getTypeInfo() return OBJECT in soft upgrade mode

I was wondering, should DatabaseMetaData.getSQLTypes() return OBJECT in
soft ugprade mode?

I was running 10.5.3 tests against a soft upgraded database to 10.6 and
see quite a few fail because this is included. Should it be in soft
upgrade mode?

Thanks

Kathey

Re: Should DatabaseMetaData.getTypeInfo() return OBJECT in soft upgrade mode

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 5/6/2010 9:07 AM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Thanks for testing soft-upgrade. My feeling is that this new behavior
> corrects a bug in 10.5 and previous releases.
Thanks Rick. I think the soft upgrade behavior is ok or at least a
pretty minor bug. I probably wouldn't go so far as to say it was a
previous bug as it  like BOOLEAN is not a type available to user
tables.  I would think typical usage of getTypeInfo() would be to branch
table creation logic if types are available for use.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> I was wondering, should DatabaseMetaData.getSQLTypes() return OBJECT
> in soft ugprade mode?
>
> I was running 10.5.3 tests against a soft upgraded database to 10.6
> and see quite a few fail because this is included. Should it be in
> soft upgrade mode?
>
> Thanks
>
> Kathey

Hi Kathey,

Thanks for testing soft-upgrade. My feeling is that this new behavior
corrects a bug in 10.5 and previous releases. I believe that in older
releases, DatabasebaseMetaData.getTypeInfo() ought to return the row for
the OBJECT type because the system catalogs contain object columns (e.g.
SYSCONGLOMERATES.DESCRIPTOR). In the embedded driver in old releases,
the corresponding call to DatabaseMetaData.getColumns() reports that
SYSCONGLOMERATES.DESCRIPTOR is of JAVA_OBJECT type and has typename
"org.apache.derby.catalog.IndexDescriptor".

In my opinion, the metadata for the object columns in the system
catalogs is not consistent within either of Derby's JDBC drivers nor
across them. I think that soft-upgrade to 10.6 improves the situation
and hard-upgrade to 10.6 makes the situation even better. We could put
effort into improving the metadata for these columns in older release
branches. However, I think that would be a low value project.

Thanks,
-Rick