Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by "Farr, Aaron" <Aa...@am.sony.com> on 2004/06/08 22:21:20 UTC

Building Magic

Hello.

I'm having issues building magic from the lastest svn checkout.  I can get
the magic.jar to build, but when I run "magic build" in /tools/magic, I get
the error message included below.

Note: I'm running on Win2K via cygwin.  I've modified the magic shell script
for cygwin and as soon as I know my changes didn't break magic all together,
I'll commit the new script.

$ magic build
[INFO]  System Directory:
C:\root\home\farra\dev\projects\apache\avalon\tools\magic\engine\target\dist
[INFO] Project Directory:
C:\root\home\farra\dev\projects\apache\avalon\tools\magic
[ERROR] Unable to instantiate .
org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException: Plugin can not be
created.

        at
org.apache.avalon.magic.PluginServiceManager.locate(PluginServiceMana
ger.java:245)
        at
org.apache.avalon.magic.PluginServiceManager.lookupPlugin(PluginServi
ceManager.java:117)
        at org.apache.avalon.magic.Builder.execute(Builder.java:114)
        at org.apache.avalon.magic.Main.process(Main.java:67)
        at org.apache.avalon.magic.Main.main(Main.java:37)
Caused by: org.apache.avalon.magic.CreationException: Unknown type of
plugin: C:
\root\home\farra\dev\projects\apache\avalon\tools\magic
        at
org.apache.avalon.magic.FacadeFactory.create(FacadeFactory.java:54)
        at
org.apache.avalon.magic.PluginServiceManager.locate(PluginServiceMana
ger.java:240)
        ... 4 more
org.apache.avalon.framework.service.ServiceException: Unable to instantiate
.
        at
org.apache.avalon.magic.PluginServiceManager.lookupPlugin(PluginServi
ceManager.java:141)
        at org.apache.avalon.magic.Builder.execute(Builder.java:114)
        at org.apache.avalon.magic.Main.process(Main.java:67)
        at org.apache.avalon.magic.Main.main(Main.java:37)
Total True! Build time: 1662 ms

Am I missing something simple?  I'm trying to follow Niclas' build
instructions from his prior email.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653

Re: Building Magic

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 09 June 2004 04:21, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm having issues building magic from the lastest svn checkout.  I can get
> the magic.jar to build, but when I run "magic build" in /tools/magic, I get
> the error message included below.

"magic build" is 'old construct" (I need to update some docs).
Run "magic" in tools/magic instead.

Quick Explaination of command-line formats;

"magic" [plugin "." method] | [plugin "."] | method | @file

Examples;
magic     -    same as "magic @magic.sequence"
magic jar.install   -   Execute the install() method in the jar plugin.
magic build  -  Execute the build() method in the magic.bsh in current dir.
magic clean.   -   Execute the clean() method in the clean plugin.

magic @release.sequence  -  Execute the methods in directories, listed in the
file

File Format;
Each line consist of a "directory" and one or many 'methods' in the same style
as the command-line. If there are no methods listed, i.e. only a directory,
the "magic.properties" file is read from that directory.
Examples;
---------------
. jar.install
api