Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/24 16:19:00 UTC

CSV Dataset - how to handle unused variables?

At present, if the CSV Dataset element specifies more variable names
than there are columns, then the additional variable names are
ignored. If there is already a variable with one of the unused names,
it will be left unchanged.

Would it might be useful to enhance CSV Dataset to process all the
variable names?
If so, what should be done? For example:
- set unused variables to the empty string?
- set unused variables to some default value?
- remove unused variables (i.e. delete any existing definition)?

[The GUI would need to be updated to add a new option, with the
default being the existing behaviour]

Anyone have any views on this?

Re: CSV Dataset - how to handle unused variables?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25/03/2008, Ronan Klyne <ro...@groupbc.com> wrote:
> sebb wrote:
>  > At present, if the CSV Dataset element specifies more variable names
>  > than there are columns, then the additional variable names are
>  > ignored. If there is already a variable with one of the unused names,
>  > it will be left unchanged.
>  >
>  > Would it might be useful to enhance CSV Dataset to process all the
>  > variable names?
>  > If so, what should be done? For example:
>  > - set unused variables to the empty string?
>  > - set unused variables to some default value?
>  > - remove unused variables (i.e. delete any existing definition)?
>  >
>  > [The GUI would need to be updated to add a new option, with the
>  > default being the existing behaviour]
>  >
>  > Anyone have any views on this?
>

> My 1.00821697 pence:
>
>  For my purposes, the current behaviour is best.
>  If you make a change, I'd urge against delete any existing definitions -
>  If the CSV file and column name set don't even match up, the least we
>  can do is not tread on any other code...

Any change would definitely be optional.

Also, only the variable names listed on the CSV Dataset GUI would be affected.

For example, if the GUI lists 3 variables a,b,c then any rows in the
file with 3 or more columns will set the variables a,b and c as
before. The question was what to do about rows with fewer than 3
columns. If there are only 2 columns, what should happen to variable
"c" ? At present it is ignored: if it already exists, it will be left
unchanged; if it does not exist it won't be created.

Posted by Ronan Klyne <ro...@groupbc.com>.