Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by "Kusenda, Brandyn J" <br...@uiowa.edu> on 2012/09/25 16:49:57 UTC

descriptors referencing by location vs name

First off, thank you for sharing all your hard-work on this fantastic project.

What is the reasoning behind choosing to specify descriptors by location rather than name?  In the context of Maven, using "name" seems to make creating a self-contained jar that executes a pipeline much simpler. I've been investigating running a UIMA pipeline on a hadoop cluster and referencing all descriptors by name is one of the suggested steps. I personally have not experienced any need to recompile because of a descriptor change in my Eclipse environment when the descriptors are in the classpath.

Also, as someone who would like to use some or all of cTAKES as a module in our own pipeline, having each component somewhat self-contained is really helpful.

So in regards to your thread on where to keep resources, I would suggest either:
- creating another artifact (example: dictionary-lookup-resources) for each artifact's resources or
- including the resources in each artifact in the classpath (example: /src/main/resources).

Thanks,
Brandyn