Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adam Hardy <Ad...@bbc.co.uk> on 2005/03/23 13:20:12 UTC

Best approach to job

I have a simple project which produces a java stand-alone and I need to
produce the distribution zip file, and I would like to have a maven goal
to do that.

I had a look at maven's built-in dist task, and I can see a broad
compatibility there with my aims, but there is a large amount of work
that it undertakes which I would like to cut out, and a couple of points
that I would like to adapt.

Maven's documentation makes several references to the Maven way of doing
things, such as 'try not to have a maven.xml' and 'it's not recommended
to use maven.junit.skip', and wanting to stay in the same paradigm,
rather than just coding a big ant script like the old ant developer I
am, I'm asking myself what the best approach is.

I want to produce a zip containing a directory structure like so:
/lib - dependency jars and my jar
/bin - shell scripts to launch java
/conf - config & property files
/log - for output

And I would like to avoid running tests and reports and doing a website
xdoc build.

Any pointers, anyone?

Adam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/

stated.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

RE: Best approach to job

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
What is your objection to doing the tests, reports, and website?  Howe
often do you expect to do a distribution?   You could code around it,
but yes, it would be easier to just go with the flow..

You could run the default dist goal, and then add your own logic after
that to stip out the parts you don't need/want...

[...]

stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your
system.
BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.

RE: Best approach to job

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
> I have a simple project which produces a java stand-alone and I need to
> produce the distribution zip file, and I would like to have a maven goal
> to do that.

Lets have a look to the distribution plugin:
http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/dist/

Moreover you can create in your maven.xml ant script (like u said)

Regards,

Vincent