Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com> on 2016/10/05 03:09:54 UTC

how to add a shareable node label?

I am using Hadoop 2.7.3, when I run:
$ yarn rmadmin -addToClusterNodeLabels "Label1(exclusive=false)"

I got an error as:

… addToClusterNodeLabels: java.io.IOException: label name should only contains {0-9, a-z, A-Z, -, _} and should not started with {-,_}

If I just use “Label1”, it will work fine, but I want a shareable one.

Anyone knows a better way to do it?

Access the Q2 2016 Digital Marketing Report for a fresh set of trends and benchmarks in digital marketing<http://www2.merkleinc.com/l/47252/2016-07-26/47gt7c>

Download our latest report titled “The Case for Change: Exploring the Myths of Customer-Centric Transformation” <http://www2.merkleinc.com/l/47252/2016-08-04/4b9p7c>

This email and any attachments transmitted with it are intended for use by the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not keep, use, disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author’s prior permission. We take precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to perform your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. The information contained in this communication may be confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege.

RE: how to add a shareable node label?

Posted by Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com>.
Thanks, Sunil. It makes a lot of sense. I will try it out.

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frank

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frank

Posted by Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com>.
That is correct, Sunil.

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.
HI Frank

Posted by Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com>.
Sunil,

Your description pretty much matches my understanding. Except for “Job_A will have to run as per its schedule w/o any delay”. My situation is that Job_A can be delayed. As long as it runs in queueA, I am happy.

Just as you said, processes normally running in queueB might not be preemptable. So if they overflow to queueA then got preempted, then that is not good.

Ideally those containers will be preempted if there are unsatisfied demand for "configured label".

I could explain this:
"labelA" has few empty resources.  All nodes under "default" label is used. Hence a new application which is submitted to "default" label has to wait. But if "labelA" is non-exclusive and there are some free resources, this new application can run on "labelA".
However if there are some more new apps submitted to "labelA", and if there are no more resources available in "labelA", then it may preempt containers from the app which was sharing containers earlier.

May be you could share some more information so tht it may become more clear. Also I suppose you are running this in hadoop 3 alpha1 release. please correct me if I m wrong.

Thanks
Sunil

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:44 PM Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com>> wrote:
Thanks Sunil.

>  3. If there is any future ask for those resources , we will preempt the non labeled apps and give them back to labeled apps.

Unfortunately, I am still not able to use it, because of the preemptive behavior. The jobs that steals labelled resources are not preemptable, and I’d rather waiting instead of killing.

Re: how to add a shareable node label?

Ideally those containers will be preempted if there are unsatisfied demand
for "configured label".

I could explain this:

"labelA" has few empty resources.  All nodes under "default" label is used.
Hence a new application which is submitted to "default" label has to wait.
But if "labelA" is non-exclusive and there are some free resources, this
new application can run on "labelA".

However if there are some more new apps submitted to "labelA", and if there
are no more resources available in "labelA", then it may preempt containers
from the app which was sharing containers earlier.

May be you could share some more information so tht it may become more
clear. Also I suppose you are running this in hadoop 3 alpha1 release.
please correct me if I m wrong.

Thanks

Sunil

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 9:44 PM Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com> wrote:

Thanks Sunil.

Ø  3. If there is any future ask for those resources , we will preempt the

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.
HI Frank

Posted by Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com>.
Thanks Sunil.

Ø  3. If there is any future ask for those resources , we will preempt the non labeled apps and give them back to labeled apps.

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Frank

Posted by Frank Luo <jl...@merkleinc.com>.

Posted by Sunil Govind <su...@gmail.com>.