Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/01 15:47:57 UTC

clarification on SF license and sandboxes

Can anyone tell me if it's OK to put code into a sandbox that has been
attached to a JIRA without granting ASF license?

Thanks

Re: clarification on SF license and sandboxes

Posted by kelvin goodson <ke...@gmail.com>.
thanks,  i'll pursue that

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for all the replies by the way. Definitely helping me
understand the other viewpoint (and try to poke holes :) ).

On 11/6/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip...>
> > How do you know you can use the code to identify and fix the bug?
> >
> > And more confusingly - how do you write a unit test for that bug
> > without taking too much copyright from the example code?
> >
> > Legal-wise (and my understanding of this stuff is always iffy) - I
> > thought that if something wasn't licensed/publically announced in the
> > public domain, that it was 'All Rights Reserved'. So anything that
> > doesn't check the 'code-grant' checkbox seems completely unusable.
>
> I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'd say if someone opens a bug
> report and attaches code to it saying that this is an example
> reproducing the bug, then they've given you the rights to use it to
> identify and fix the bug.  In all cases we're assuming the person
> posting the code has the right to grant usage since any other case is
> invalid no matter how they check the box.
>
> Writing a unit tests using their code as a template is separate issue
> which I won't try to address (not qualified).

Yeah, same here. It underlies a more general one though - if something
is not being granted to us, we don't know what the terms are under
which it is being attached.

> Code grant serves another purpose -- it's for explicitly saying "I
> want you to include my code in the project code, and I give you full
> rights to do so".
>
> > From a more ASF-selfish point of view - what are we losing if we don't
> > allow people to put stuff in without granting us the right to use
> > that? Are we going to see lots of people not attaching patches/test
> > code?
>
> It's going to depend on the people, but in general, yes.   It's hard
> to get people to attach test code.   It's harder still if you expect
> them to independently write a test case for which ASF will get a
> code-grant.  If you're only interested in fixing problems for people
> who have time to make code-grant test cases instead of snippets of
> work they are probably doing for-hire, you're going to lose a lot of
> potential contributions.

Is it normal to have permission to publish snippets of for-hire work?
I would have thought that posting such things would break most
people's contracts/NDAs etc. Not allowing a grey-line set of
attachments is a bonus to people in that position I think.

It seems that mostly people would either attach/report-issues that we
can use, or they shouldn't have reported/attached in the first place
for whatever internal legal reason. A policy which allows things to be
published publically, but not be used in code seems pretty unlikely
given the general level of paranoia.

> Some projects may find that acceptable, but
> unless there's a legal reason why it cannot be allowed, why make the
> process any more difficult?

Because we're making the process more difficult by allowing the
option. Apparantly I have to chase up people in Bugzilla to find out
which option they would have checked, and I have to start checking
which option an attachment was flagged under everytime I look at an
attachment in JIRA.

We also have JIRAs that have not migrated to the ASF who do not have
this turned on yet. So they need to be doing the same as Bugzilla
users.

> In my experience, it's rare that such a
> posted example is useful (even for test cases) outside of identifying
> the bug in the first place unless the reporter already wrote a
> standalone (and thus grantable) test case.   And in those cases, ask
> the reporter to check the code grant button.

But you think that if they couldn't post that example, that they
wouldn't have reported the bug?

Hen

Re: clarification on SF license and sandboxes

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > What does 'not for inclusion' mean though?
> > >
> > > If it's marked that way, can I take bits of the code out of it? Do I
> > > have to worry about looking at that code and then implementing
> > > something in the apache code that does the same thing and getting
> > > sued?
> > >
> > > For example, what if someone posts a bit of Sun's Java source to the
> > > Harmony JIRA and marks it 'not for inclusion'. There's a world of
> > > meaning in that not for inclusion flag. What's in it for the ASF to
> > > have a not for inclusion option?
> > >
> > > I'm not seeing why we allow it - better to say "Anything here is for
> > > inclusion".
> >
> > As you mentioned before, it's typically used to post example code
> > demonstrating a bug.    As a project committer, what's in it for me is
> > that I can use the submitted code to identify and fix the bug.   The
> > code doesn't have to be apache licensed for me to do that (ASF
> > licensing isn't viral).   There's still benefit to the project simply
> > in identifying and fixing bugs even without a code grant to the ASF.
>
> How do you know you can use the code to identify and fix the bug?
>
> And more confusingly - how do you write a unit test for that bug
> without taking too much copyright from the example code?
>
> Legal-wise (and my understanding of this stuff is always iffy) - I
> thought that if something wasn't licensed/publically announced in the
> public domain, that it was 'All Rights Reserved'. So anything that
> doesn't check the 'code-grant' checkbox seems completely unusable.

I'm certainly no expert on this, but I'd say if someone opens a bug
report and attaches code to it saying that this is an example
reproducing the bug, then they've given you the rights to use it to
identify and fix the bug.  In all cases we're assuming the person
posting the code has the right to grant usage since any other case is
invalid no matter how they check the box.

Writing a unit tests using their code as a template is separate issue
which I won't try to address (not qualified).

Code grant serves another purpose -- it's for explicitly saying "I
want you to include my code in the project code, and I give you full
rights to do so".

> From a more ASF-selfish point of view - what are we losing if we don't
> allow people to put stuff in without granting us the right to use
> that? Are we going to see lots of people not attaching patches/test
> code?

It's going to depend on the people, but in general, yes.   It's hard
to get people to attach test code.   It's harder still if you expect
them to independently write a test case for which ASF will get a
code-grant.  If you're only interested in fixing problems for people
who have time to make code-grant test cases instead of snippets of
work they are probably doing for-hire, you're going to lose a lot of
potential contributions.  Some projects may find that acceptable, but
unless there's a legal reason why it cannot be allowed, why make the
process any more difficult?  In my experience, it's rare that such a

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:10 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

> On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> attachments that

>> - the
>> want to do
>> publish
>> as it's
>> it,

>> for

>> > There's a difference between "I don't want to contribute this
>> code to
>> > the project code base" versus "I don't want my code published."
>> >
>> > The "no" option means the code is not for inclusion into the
>> project.
>> > It doesn't necessarily mean that the code is confidential.
>>
>> What does 'not for inclusion' mean though?
>>
>> If it's marked that way, can I take bits of the code out of it? Do I
>> have to worry about looking at that code and then implementing
>> something in the apache code that does the same thing and getting
>> sued?
>>
>> For example, what if someone posts a bit of Sun's Java source to the
>> Harmony JIRA and marks it 'not for inclusion'. There's a world of
>> meaning in that not for inclusion flag. What's in it for the ASF to
>> have a not for inclusion option?
>>
>> I'm not seeing why we allow it - better to say "Anything here is for
>> inclusion".
>
> As you mentioned before, it's typically used to post example code
> demonstrating a bug.    As a project committer, what's in it for me is
> that I can use the submitted code to identify and fix the bug.   The
> code doesn't have to be apache licensed for me to do that (ASF
> licensing isn't viral).   There's still benefit to the project simply
> in identifying and fixing bugs even without a code grant to the ASF.

+1

I believe that there you have captured the reason for this statement
in the JIRA "attach file" screen:

<jira>
Contributions intended for inclusion in ASF products (eg. patches,
code) must be licensed to ASF under the terms of the Apache Software
License. Other attachments (eg. log dumps, test cases) need not be.
</jira>

A test case with real domain classes might be needed to demonstrate a
problem, but that should not require the bug submitter to contribute
the domain classes to Apache.

Craig

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/6/06, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/6/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm still confused - why do we allow people to upload attachments that
> > > are not intended for inclusion?
> > >
> > > I can see one very reasonable reason from a user point of view - the
> > > example they want to upload is business related and so they want to do
> > > their best to explain the problem to us, but not to have us publish
> > > those details any further. However that reason doesn't hold up as it's
> > > public if it's in our JIRA and if we don't know the license on it,
> > > then can we even use it to resolve the issue?
> > >
> > > What makes an attachment special? Why don't we have to do this for
> > > comments and the jira issue itself?
> > >
> > > Not seeing why we don't just say:  "All issues + attachments are
> > > intended for inclusion".
> >
> > There's a difference between "I don't want to contribute this code to
> > the project code base" versus "I don't want my code published."
> >
> > The "no" option means the code is not for inclusion into the project.
> > It doesn't necessarily mean that the code is confidential.
>
> What does 'not for inclusion' mean though?

It's probably better to ask this question on the infra@ list, since it's a
lot more likely that the discussion surrounding the explicit addition of
this checkbox happened there rather than here. I'm sure you'd rather have a
definitive answer rather than lots of pure speculation. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
I notice that the current JIRA "attach file" form does not default
anything, and requires the submitter to choose explicitly the
copyright status for the submission. (I think this is a change from
previous behavior, and if so, a very welcome change).

So it's now very clear that the user must choose whether the
submission is intended as a contribution.

As far as I'm concerned, this issue is now resolved. If a JIRA
submission is marked as "Attachment not intended for inclusion" it
should not be used.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Craig

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your comments. They seem to contradict what Henri is
saying. Can we continue this discussion until we reach some conclusion?

Thanks,

Craig

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
If I am not mistaken, if it is a patch it is already handles by the apache license itself. If it
isn't a patch, I think it's best to ask for the granting specifically..

Mvgr,
Martin