Posted to dev@creadur.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2008/04/28 23:09:12 UTC

Detached License Descriptors

one major bit of functionality that is missing from RAT are detached
license descriptors. this is basically some means for an outside
document to contain license information for files which cannot contain
it themselves for example, test data.

i would prefer RDF documents with relative URLs so that the meta-data is
exposed for any other tools to read but upon reflection, it may well be
better to allow this function to be plugged in.

opinions?

- robert

Re: Detached License Descriptors

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> one major bit of functionality that is missing from RAT are detached
>  license descriptors. this is basically some means for an outside
>  document to contain license information for files which cannot contain
>  it themselves for example, test data.
>
>  i would prefer RDF documents with relative URLs so that the meta-data is
>  exposed for any other tools to read but upon reflection, it may well be
>  better to allow this function to be plugged in.
>
>  opinions?

If I'd be the one to implement it, I'd do it as plugins. Of course,
the default plugin would be configured from a an external resource,
one per license. Ant or Maven Plugins could be used to have additional
directories with additional resources.

Jochen

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

 -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)