Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by J Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2004/03/04 00:05:04 UTC

RC From Norton Antivirus Command Line?

I'm trying to install Vincenzo Pini's antivirus mailet.  It requires me
to configure what return code from the AV app, which in my case in
Norton AntiVirus.  What RC does Norton AV return if it finds a virus?  I
can't find it documented anywhere (and don't particularly want to
install a virus on my machine just to do a test.)

Thanks.

Jerry

Re: RC From Norton Antivirus Command Line?

Posted by Tracy Bost <tb...@appraisalforum.com>.
Jerry

 As a side note, it may be a good idea to test it once you get it configured.
If you want to test, but particulary don't want to install a virus, the following url has files that are downloadable that are recognized as "test" viruses by most all anti-virus software.

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

- tb

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.
For testing, you could use the "pseudo virus" Eicar.com, that comes for
instance with McAfee's VirusScan distribution; probably Norton's
distribution supplies it too. It's simply a short sequence of characters
agreed by the antivirus manufacturers for testing. I use it myself.

See http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm.

Hope it helps,

Vincenzo