Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by kiwi clive <ki...@yahoo.com> on 2012/11/07 11:58:33 UTC

Lucene 3.6.0 high CPU usage

Hi Guys,

Having upgraded from lucene2.3.2 to lucene3.6.0 and jumping through a few hoops, we note that the CPU usage on the new version is perhaps 20-30% higher. The i/o wait appears about the same on both versions.

Can anyone suggest why this should be so or is the newer lucene version just more CPU hungry? If not, any tuning suggestions to reduce CPU usage would be gratefully received !

Thanks
Clive

Re: Lucene 3.6.0 high CPU usage

Posted by kiwi clive <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Ian,
Yes I/O ->CPU, but read on...

The throughput is about the same with similar i/o and 20% higher CPU. We have plenty of CPU and I would rather be cpu bound, thean i/o bound.

However, we have increased the number of indexing threads in our application. On Lucene 2.3.2, this gave no performance improvement as the I/O just increased. However,  lucene 3.6.0 ramps up the CPU (user) usage while I/O only increases marginally.

Our throughput has trebled !! - amazing improvement, and all in CPU space.

So it appears there have been a lot of performance improvements made in the new version that I was not previously using, the Ferrari was in first gear and now we are taking advantage of these features.

This is truly phenominal step-change in throughput, thank you Lucene developers !

Clive

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.

Re: Lucene 3.6.0 high CPU usage