Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2006/09/20 15:40:55 UTC

NTLMv2 support. Was RE: NTLM Authentication credentials

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 23:27 +0200, Mike Wilson wrote:
> > So, all those concerned by the lack of NTLMv2 support please consider
> > rolling up the sleeves and putting together an AuthScheme
> > implementation
> > based on JCIFS for HttpClient 3.x. It is perfectly feasible and should
> > not be that difficult to achieve.
>
> Well, I am just an indirect user of HttpClient so am not aquainted with
> the APIs. But who knows, maybe one of those rainy days ;-).
> Are there any how-to:s or similar for how to build an AuthScheme?
>
> Best regards
> Mike

Mike,

As it is often the case with open-source software the source code is the
only ultimate reference. Having said that, I do believe that the
AuthScheme interface is not that difficult to comprehend based on the
available javadocs and a few already existing implementations.

This is the implementation of the simplest BASIC auth scheme. I think
the code is quite explanatory:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/xref/org/apache/commons/httpclient/auth/BasicScheme.html

The NTLM scheme is certainly by far more complicated. Luckily the
default implementation of the NTLM auth scheme is fairly well
structured. All nitty gritty details of the NTLM protocol are
encapsulated in the NTLM class. One just need to replace all references
to NTLM class with equivalent methods of the JCIFS library.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/xref/org/apache/commons/httpclient/auth/NTLMScheme.html

Overall, it do not think that would be a very difficult undertaking.

Oleg