Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2015/06/08 08:59:22 UTC

Robot vs. personal KEYS for signing releases

Hi!

my recollection is that the collective opinion
was to discourage the use of KEYS of robots
for signing the releases and prefer individuals
do that with their keys.

I remember a thread to that effect, but I cant
google it. Am I misremembering?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Robot vs. personal KEYS for signing releases

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 2:55 PM, Cédric Champeau
<ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I guess the debate is because of Groovy and our use of robot keys, so
> "should" vs "must". If it's a should, I think we're ok...

Would it be possible to sign the robot keys with your own keys?

The alternative is to sign the release archive with your own key, in
addition to the robot's signature - AFAICS for Groovy that's a single
file to sign.

-Bertrand

Re: Robot vs. personal KEYS for signing releases

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 10:35 PM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> Cédric,
> you are very vague about it, and it could well be that everything is ok.
> But I suggest that you let infra@ give a opinion about the security level
> of the solution that you running with.
>
> For instance, (IIUIC) one rogue PMC member could compromise the private key
> secretly, and no one would be the wiser.
>
> Also, you even say yourself "Checking the release is a human job." and how
> do you indicate that you have checked a particular release ---> You sign it
> with your (the reviewer) own key. Otherwise, how do you know what you
> reviewed is what is being released?

I would like to take a moment and make a point that I very much share
Niclas' concerns. I have no trust in "collectively owned" keys whatsover.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
Cédric,
you are very vague about it, and it could well be that everything is ok.
But I suggest that you let infra@ give a opinion about the security level
of the solution that you running with.

For instance, (IIUIC) one rogue PMC member could compromise the private key
secretly, and no one would be the wiser.

Also, you even say yourself "Checking the release is a human job." and how
do you indicate that you have checked a particular release ---> You sign it
with your (the reviewer) own key. Otherwise, how do you know what you
reviewed is what is being released?

Niclas

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Robot vs. personal KEYS for signing releases

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
<ce...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are not using the Apache CI servers for that but our own CI server. IMHO
> you should make a difference between building and checking. Building should
> be automated as much as possible. Checking the release is a human job.
> There are lots of reasons why we stopped releasing from a local computer
> years ago.

Who has access to the keys? How are they secured, and what's the plan
for going forward with that? (and this should all be documented) I ask
this because I know of more than one project that has had a
'centralized key' to sign with; but which the PMC didn't control; and
that eventually caused problems when the person with access to the key
disappeared from the community.

As Jake said, I personally wouldn't entrust keys to the ASF's general
purpose CI infrastructure, but I haven't seen anything that
immediately sets off klaxons in my head.

--David

Re: Robot vs. personal KEYS for signing releases

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Cédric Champeau <ce...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.