Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> on 2002/07/20 20:43:20 UTC

htaccess tutorial

I have thrown together a htaccess tutorial, which can be seen at
http://www.apacheadmin.com/htaccess.txt

Please let me know what you think. I'm about to put it in HTML or XML or
whatever we are doing now, and would appreciate feedback at this stage.
Thanks.

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org

port-based virtual host SSL config

Posted by Jay States <js...@mac.com>.
Rich,

Thanks for the tutorial on htaccess.  I have noticed that people on this
list are having problems with port-based virtual hosting using SSL.
Does your book touch on that..... and could you place a tutorial on the
subject.  Each book I have read does not talk about SSL configure files.

Re: htaccess tutorial

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, [ISO-8859-1] Andr� Malo wrote:

> * Rich Bowen wrote:
>
> > I have thrown together a htaccess tutorial, which can be seen at
> > http://www.apacheadmin.com/htaccess.txt
>
> nice.
>
> my EUR 0.02:
>
> * SSI + CGI Examples
>
> | Note that AllowOverride Options must be in effect for these directives
> | to have any effect.
>
> has to be: AllowOverride Options FileInfo
>
> * I'm missing some words about the security issue, that .htaccess files
> (as a part of the server configuration) are placed in url space and so
> may be delivered by the server (this "feature" is turned off by default,
> I know).

Thanks. I'll make these changes.

--
Nothing is perfekt. Certainly not me.
Success to failure. Just a matter of degrees.

Re: htaccess tutorial

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Rich Bowen wrote:

> I have thrown together a htaccess tutorial, which can be seen at
> http://www.apacheadmin.com/htaccess.txt

nice.

my EUR 0.02:

* SSI + CGI Examples

| Note that AllowOverride Options must be in effect for these directives
| to have any effect.

has to be: AllowOverride Options FileInfo

* I'm missing some words about the security issue, that .htaccess files
(as a part of the server configuration) are placed in url space and so
may be delivered by the server (this "feature" is turned off by default,
I know).

nd
--
print "Just Another Perl Hacker";

# André Malo, <http://www.perlig.de/> #

Re: htaccess tutorial

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Rich Bowen wrote:

> I have thrown together a htaccess tutorial, which can be seen at
> http://www.apacheadmin.com/htaccess.txt
>
> Please let me know what you think. I'm about to put it in HTML or XML or
> whatever we are doing now, and would appreciate feedback at this stage.
> Thanks.

Looks very good to me, Rich.  Well written, and covers most of the points
I can think of.

Joshua.