Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Edd Dumbill <ed...@usefulinc.com> on 2002/02/04 13:59:41 UTC

Re: [Announcement] Apache Cocoon 2.0.1 Release

On Thu, 2002-01-31 at 13:24, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Apache Cocoon 2.0.1 Released
> ----------------------------

I've given this a mention on the XMLhack newswire.  If the release note
had included major diffs between 2.0.1 and 2.0.0 I could have made a
bigger article out of it -- if you're able to, it would be good to see
more detailed announcements.  I just didn't have the time/context to
figure out what was significant and what wasn't from the ChangeLog.

regards

-- Edd

--
Edd Dumbill ------------| phone: +44 1904 427740 |------------------

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>>Edd Dumbill wrote:

>>>I've given this a mention on the XMLhack newswire.  If the release note
>>>had included major diffs between 2.0.1 and 2.0.0 I could have made a
>>>bigger article out of it -- if you're able to, it would be good to see
>>>more detailed announcements.  I just didn't have the time/context to
>>>figure out what was significant and what wasn't from the ChangeLog.
>>>
>>Very good point, Edd.
>>
>>We'll make sure that next announcements will be more detailed and more
>>informative both to users and to the press people that help us spread
>>the word.
>>
>>Thanks for your 'bug report' :)
>>
>I fixed this 'bug' after the 2.0.1 release as soon as I got aware of it.
>So our next announcements are more verbose. Promised.
>
>Carsten

What about adding an "importance" attribute to changes in changes.xml,
with values high/middle/low so that we can automatically build an
announcement with high importance changes ?

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez

Re: high-level entries for changes.xml (was: [Announcement] Apache Cocoon 2.0.1 Release)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >
> > David Crossley wrote:

> > release note

> > >We could tweak the DTD changes-v1?.dtd to provide a
> > >high-level announcement action in changes.xml which would
> > >then get extracted at Announcement time. One easy way
> > >would be to provide an additional value for the "type" attribute
> > >of the <action> element.
> > > types "add|remove|update|fix" ... |announce
> > >
> > >In that way actions can be described in detail as per normal.
> > >If the change or new feature is worthy of mention in the
> > >Announcement, then we add another <action> entry to provide
> > >the specific announcment text.
> > >
> > >--David Crossley
> > >
> > I proposed to add a new attribute on <action> named "importance" taking
> > the values "high|medium|low" (low by default). This would allow to build
> > an announcement by extracting all high importance actions.
> >
> > A new attribute would also avoid to either loose the information of
> > "add|remove|update", or duplicate the action text to add it to the
> > annoucements. It would also allow to order items in the releases notes
> > depending on their importance.
> >
> > Thoughts ?
> >
> Seeing these alternatives, I think the one from Sylvain is easier-to-use.
> But this requires for all of us (especially me...) to spend more time in
> the texts of the changes.log. And some native-speakers should have a look
> at it before a release.

Nah, people won't care if we have spelling mistakes in a OSS
announcement... they only care about the meat :) (ie the important
changes)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: high-level entries for changes.xml (was: [Announcement] Apache Cocoon 2.0.1 Release)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > > Very good point, Edd.
> > >
> > > We'll make sure that next announcements will be more detailed and more
> > > informative both to users and to the press people that help us spread
> > > the word.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your 'bug report' :)
> >
> > I fixed this 'bug' after the 2.0.1 release as soon as I got aware of it.
> > So our next announcements are more verbose. Promised.
> >
> > Carsten
>
> We could tweak the DTD changes-v1?.dtd to provide a
> high-level announcement action in changes.xml which would
> then get extracted at Announcement time. One easy way
> would be to provide an additional value for the "type" attribute
> of the <action> element.
>  types "add|remove|update|fix" ... |announce

No, the 'announce' property should be another attribute.

I'll change this on changes-v11 that is now undergoing work in
xml-forrest (check it out!)

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.