Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Steven Belbin <St...@adacel.com> on 2008/02/18 20:22:01 UTC

Xalanc static library on Win32.

I would like to know if anyone has modified the Xalanc sources (release
1.1.0) as well as the Win32 associated projects in order to be able to build
a static library of the Xalanc components.

At first I modified a few header files in order to not to compile the source
files as a DLL, that went relatively smoothly

However, the Localization project with all of its internal makefiles
(XalanMsgLib.mak, MsgCreator.mak and BuildMessage.mak) renders the task more
difficult than it should be. For instance, I do not need for the
MsgCreator.mak to be statically built, therefore a regular Debug build would
be sufficient, however since header files are moved into intermediary
directories renders the process more difficult.

My question, is that has anyone done this.

Thanks.

Steven Belbin
Adacel Inc.
4005-E Matte boul.
Brossard, QC, Canada
J4Y 2P4
Tel. 450-444-2687 ext. 352
Fax 450-444-4249
"Ce courriel est confidentiel et est à l'usage exclusif de son destinataire.
Si vous recevez ce courriel ou tout fichier joint par erreur, vous ne devez
pas divulguer ou en utiliser le contenu. De plus, vous devez en informer
aussitôt son expéditeur et détruire immédiatement le courriel et tout fichier
joint".
"This email is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this
email or any attachment, you must not disclose or use the information
contained in it. If you have received this email or any attachment in error,
please notify us immediately by return email and delete the email and any
attachment."

Re: Xalanc static library on Win32.

Posted by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org>.
Steven Belbin wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone has modified the Xalanc sources (release
> 1.1.0) as well as the Win32 associated projects in order to be able to
> build a static library of the Xalanc components.
>
> At first I modified a few header files in order to not to compile the
> source files as a DLL, that went relatively smoothly
>
> However, the Localization project with all of its internal makefiles
> (XalanMsgLib.mak, MsgCreator.mak and BuildMessage.mak) renders the task
> more difficult than it should be. For instance, I do not need for the
> MsgCreator.mak to be statically built, therefore a regular Debug build
> would be sufficient, however since header files are moved into
> intermediary directories renders the process more difficult.
>
> My question, is that has anyone done this.
I've never tried it.  The only thing you would need to do would be to
modify the final stage that builds the messages DLL and build a static
library instead.

Note that the current Subversion has MSVS2005 projects instead of the
external Makefiles.  You might have better luck by starting with them, or
just retrofitting those changes into the 1.10 solution.

Dave