Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Je...@aol.com on 2001/06/21 19:56:41 UTC

jsp needs updating

Hi, I am at the process of learning JSP, and there are some things I see
problematic. If there is a solution for my problem please let me know. First
I don't like the fact that there aren't enough standard tag libraries for
pervasive operations like database, cookies, html parsing, etc....There are
downloadable libraries however, for example the book I am using uses it's own
tag libraries and beans which the user has to download. The problem I see
with this is that, it is not a standard, which means that if I want to
migrate the code it wouldn't work unless  I also transfer over the proper
classes and tag libraries. Why don't they have a standard out there for JSP
rather than using third party classes and tag handlers.

Is there a standard java JSP specification tag libraries out there or do we
as programmers have to make all the custom tags/ tag handlers for the common
programming tags like database,cookies,parsing. etc...

In my opinion JSP is a very hard technology to learn and is very misleading
because most think of (including myself)  JSP as Java's version of "PHP" or
"ASP". But in my opinion JSP technology is harder to learn than Java
servlets. The reason why I think this is because with all the things you have
to learn like creating your own tags which uses XML,creating scriplets( which
in my opinion is the easiest part to JSP), creating your own JavaBean, and to
top it all off , not having a standard JSP tag library makes it very
diffucult as a programmer. It's a combination of XML,ASP/PHP,JavaBeans and
Java Servlet.

Does anyone share the same view as me or is JSP just about the scriplets and
not about any of the other parts I mentioned.