Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/12/11 09:05:20 UTC

[DISCUSS] How to handle Docker?

Hi all,

yesterday I had a look at what’s missing in order for us to ship fully functional StreamPipe modules.
Adding the missing spring-boot repackaging was simple.

I also added Dockerfiles for both modules that successfully build docker images and should theoretically also deploy them to dockerhub.

HOWEVER … the build like this only works with Docker installed on your system.

So now to my question 1:

  *   Do we want to make Docker mandatory? … then I would add a check to the setup script
  *   Do we enable the Docker stuff by adding a “with-docker” profile? … this too would add a Docker detection to the script, but this is only executed if the profile is enabled.

I would opt for option 2 with the profile and to add this to the configuration of the release-plugin that this also enables the “with-docker” profile.
I am however hesitant as I have noticed that some people in the community dislike having all these profiles and we just got rid of some.

Second thing is:
Do we want to distribute Docker images of things that need it? And if yes, how do we do it correctly (Justin … this part of the question is generally directed to you ;) )

I would like to distribute the StreamPipes images and if things are added, that require it, those too (Perhaps one day the Mock PLC and stuff like that).
However I don’t want to distribute our examples this way.

Please share your thoughts on these questions.

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] How to handle Docker?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Second thing is:
> Do we want to distribute Docker images of things that need it? And if yes, how do we do it correctly (Justin … this part of the question is generally directed to you ;) )

Best guidelines we currently have is  [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/DistributionGuidelines

Re: [DISCUSS] How to handle Docker?

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Haha, yeah, we are the no-profile-wing :D

Am 11.12.19, 11:54 schrieb "Strljic, Matthias Milan" <ma...@isw.uni-stuttgart.de>:

    Hahaha xD i think for that we need soon an organigram :D

    Matthias Strljic, M.Sc.

    Universität Stuttgart
    Institut für Steuerungstechnik der Werkzeugmaschinen und Fertigungseinrichtungen (ISW)

    Seidenstraße 36
    70174 Stuttgart
    GERMANY

    Tel: +49 711 685-84530