Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Wielaard <ma...@klomp.org> on 2006/01/01 22:25:07 UTC

Re: regression test suite

On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 10:52 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > I think the natural place for the regression tests should be together
> > with the unit tests. I am not sure, however, if the regression tests
> > should be marked explicitly or differ from the unit tests in any other
> > specific way.
> >
> > What do you think about it? Any preferences?
>
> I think that putting them in a parallel tree is worth considering, just
> for the sake of organization, as long as this is transparent to the
> tools a developer/user would use to do run the tests.  I do think that
> "regression test" is a broad term, and we might want to harvest things
> out of regression tests for where our unit tests fell short.

Out of tree is probably easiest, especially if we want to share tests
across projects. Take a look at Mauve (http://sourceware.org/mauve/) it
has tens of thousands of tests for core libraries (but also for byte
code verifiers, visual tests, compiler, serialization, etc.)

The good thing about having all tests of various projects in one place
like mauve is that everybody can easily run each others unit and
regression tests. There has been a discussion on the classpath
mailinglist about importing even more tests into mauve from GNU Crypto
now that that project is going to merge with GNU classpath. There were
some suggestions for improvements in the mauve setup. You might want to
join that discussion:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.classpath.devel/6846

And of course http://sourceware.org/ml/mauve-discuss/

Cheers,