Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Don Gourley <go...@wrlc.org> on 2001/06/26 21:24:59 UTC

caching SOAP response bodies

I am creating a directory lookup service using SOAP.  Because
our directory is pretty slow, I am going to implement a cache
so the web service does not have to query the directory for
information that has been looked up in the recent past.

With the current discussion of performance, it occurs to me
that I could get even better response time on cached responses
if I stored the SOAP response body XML in the cache and then
had some way of telling the SOAP server that it doesn't need
to rebuild it.

Is this practical?  Can someone point me to the methods I might
use to implement it?  Or, would it require that the cache be
on the client side (which I don't really want to do)?

-Don