Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Aditya Sharma <ad...@apache.org> on 2022/11/14 05:06:39 UTC

Open Source India - Post Event Report

Hi Everyone,

This is a post event update for Open Source India 2022[1] that was held on
29-30 September 2022 at NIMHANS Convention Center, Bengaluru

First of all, my sincere apologies that this update is late as other
commitments, some personal and some official, caused the delay.

Priya and I flew all the way from Indore[2], India to Bangalore[3], India
with all the material we needed for the booth. We had a collection of ASF
swag, a large ASF banner with logos from our projects, and of course - lots
of stickers. Swapnil had planned to join us, but unfortunately couldn't
make it due to other urgent commitments. It was our first time so we
arrived a day before the event.

First Day Excitement!
We didn’t know what to expect so on the first day as we reached the booth a
crowd was already eagerly waiting for us at the booth (maybe it was ASF's
debut presence or the chance of some nice swag that caught their attention
:) ). There were some great exhibitors located near us like Soda
foundation[4], Microsoft open source[5], Mosip[6], and many more. And we
were very glad to see some of the Apache peers among the speakers of the
event[7]:
Data Management in Container and Multicloud Era(Talk: Data Management in
Container and Multicloud Era),
Navendu Pottekkat (Talk: Lessons Learned from Three Years of Open Source
Contributions)
Joshua Poddoku (Panel discussion: OSS is not just code, it’s a Community)

Talking About Community
We got to meet many of our peers from the Apache ecosystem. It was quite
surprising for everyone to know that ASF has a  presence in Tier 2 cities
like Indore too. We had a great time talking with people about their
projects and community experiences. We also discussed with them about the
Apache Local community (ALC) initiative. Many of them showed interest in
joining such initiatives, engaging with peers, and spreading awareness. We
also discussed collaborating with us (ALC Indore) for spreading awareness
about their individual projects. We had a banner with lots of project logos
and they had a fun time finding their project logo on the banner of full
logos.

We met many developers, who discussed with us on how they could get started
with open source/ Apache contributions. We told people about
projects.apache.org, individual project ecosystems (source code repo, issue
tracker, mailing list, etc), and how to contact community development for
further help.

Connecting with Students
We were really glad to see lots of students being part of the event, we had
some good discussions with them about open source, the Apache Way, and
various open source internships. What surprised us most was that many of
them were already aware of lots of things. What made them super happy was
getting some of the cool Apache swag :)

Incubation Confusion
We got some queries related to the incubation process as well, we got to
meet some of the maintainers who discussed the process with us. We noticed
some confusion, some of them thought that incubation was some form of
startup[8] program.

License
There were some queries related to the Apache license 2.0 too. We met some
representatives (as far as I remember they were from some startup) who
wanted to know the legal aspect of using Apache projects for commercial
use. We tried to answer their queries as best we could and guided them on
reaching out to the legal discuss mailing list for further queries.

There were some representatives from the medical field as well (some
startups), we shared with them about Apache cTAKES, and guided them on how
they can know more about it.

Kudos!
We would like to extend gratitude to Brahma Reddy Battula (Apache Hadoop &
Ambari), Navendu Pottekkat (Apache APISIX), and Joshua Poddoku (Apache
DevLake) for helping us staffing the booth.

We would also like to thank Sharan for helping us get the things we needed
to prepare for the booth and also to Gavin and the Travel and Assistance
team for taking care of all the travel arrangements.

We had a great time and hope that we get the chance to participate again in
the future.

1. https://www.opensourceindia.in/
2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indore
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangalore
4. https://www.sodafoundation.io/
5. https://opensource.microsoft.com/
6. https://mosip.io/
7. https://www.opensourceindia.in/agenda-2022/
8. https://www.quora.com/What-does-incubation-mean-in-a-startup

Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Sharma

Re: Open Source India - Post Event Report

Posted by Navendu Pottekkat <na...@apache.org>.
It was great to meet you there. Hopefully this will be a start to more
in-person community activities!

Thank you AND well done Aditya and Priya!

Best,

Navendu

Posted by Swapnil M Mane <sw...@apache.org>.