Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/11/08 05:25:19 UTC

Re: mason book

Thomas Eibner wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:58:58AM +0200, Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
>
>>I've rewritten the templates to be more modular and keep a structure of
>>books that we have ads for, and change the order each day (the site is
>>rebuilt in its entirey each day, so that shouldn't be a problem).

But, it's not. It'd be a waste to rebuild it everyday. Currently it gets
rebuild every monday. See README.SITE:

# every monday rebuild all, including pdf
30 05  * * 1
/home/perlwww/apache.org/modperl-docs/bin/site_build_force_pdf_inde
# update all (only changes/no pdf) every 6 hours
15 6,12,18 * * * /home/perlwww/apache.org/modperl-docs/bin/site_build_index
# update all (only changes and pdfs) once a day
15 0 * * * /home/perlwww/apache.org/modperl-docs/bin/site_build_pdf_index

> Right now
>>it's like it was before, because we're thursday (and for Date::Format,
>>thursday == 4 mod 4 == 0, so the first book before is the first book now).
>>But when you'll see this it might be friday already so you'll see the Mason
>>book :)
>

> Great. It's good to see all these books that are related to mod_perl!

In that case we should add several other books. My memory is still full
of mountain sites, so only the Slash book comes to mind. But there are
at least several more.

I suggest that we always list the strictly mod_perl books and rotate the
other mod_perl related books. So if they get randomly placed on
different pages and reshuffled once a week that should be fair.

Re: mason book

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.
At 16:56 09.11.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>>I suggest that we always list the strictly mod_perl books and rotate the
>>>other mod_perl related books. So if they get randomly placed on
>>>different pages and reshuffled once a week that should be fair.
>>
>>Problem with listing all strictly mod_perl books is that there are coming
>>more of them. With your book coming, we'll have a list of 4 books, + one
>>in rotation, and that's way too much for a sidebar IMO. I don't want to
>>see more than 3 books there, so there needs to be some kind of rotation.
>>Maybe we list the newest mod_perl book on the top, and rotate the two
>>other places with the rest?
>
>What I have on my mind is something like this:
>
>- Always have 3 ads,
>   2 first dedicated for the mod_perl specific books
>   1 for mod_perl related books
>
>That way we always give priority to the mod_perl specific books. Of course
>both groups to use a random alg. to make the choice. So on different pages
>there will be different books.

Sure, good idea. I'll do it soon.

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
pereinar@oslo.online.no

Re: mason book

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:
> Welcome back Stas,

Thanks :)

>> But, it's not. It'd be a waste to rebuild it everyday. Currently it
>> gets rebuild every monday. See README.SITE:
>

> Thank you for that one, I was sure I wasn't seeing the correct rotation!
> I confounded the daily one with a full (no PDF) rebuild. My mistake.

No prob.

Re: mason book

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@oslo.online.no>.
Welcome back Stas,