Posted to mirrors@apache.org by Andrew Kenna <an...@stamina.com.au> on 2001/10/03 02:22:05 UTC

Jakara problems

The easist way if you do not want to mirror the jakarta distributions is to
put in a --exclude jakarta into your daily rsync lines

--

Andrew Kenna
Network Administrator

Stamina Software Pty Ltd
Email: andrewk@stamina.com.au
Ph:  02 49 538 050
Fax: 02 49 538 077
 <<Andrew Kenna.vcf>>

Re: Jakara problems

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@perl.org>.
On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Henk P. Penning wrote:

> > the committed disk space is not a problem - the incremental changes are.  i
> > know for us allocating 5G to apache is reasonable.  it wouldn't be reasonable
> > to expect to need to download 2G daily though (extreme case).
>
>   More confusion. The jakarata part of the archive has
>   just disappeared, all 2+ GB of it.
>
>   -- Was there a notification to the mirrors ?
>   -- Is this intentional or just a fuckup ?

we bitched at the jakarta people for putting the nightly builds on
apache.org/dist/ and it seems like the only way they could manage to
resolve it was to move the whole thing back (to
jakarta.apache.org/dist).  Geez.

>   -- Will this stuff be back tomorrow ?

When it will be back, it will hopefully just be the released stuff.

>   -- What a mess !

no kidding!

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://ask.netcetera.dk/   !try; do();

Re: Jakara problems

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, jason andrade wrote:

> Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 10:40:43 +1000 (EST)
> From: jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>
> To: "'mirrors@apache.org'" <mi...@apache.org>
> Subject: Re: Jakara problems
> Sender: mirrors-return-390-henkp=cs.uu.nl@apache.org
>
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:
>
> > The easist way if you do not want to mirror the jakarta distributions is to
> > put in a --exclude jakarta into your daily rsync lines
> >

> hi andrew,
>
> i don't think its about not wanting to mirror it.  it's about the structure
> and changes not making a lot of sense.  e.g is it really required to have
> 2G of jakarta changes in a mirror of total size 4G.  particularly when
> the httpd is the most hit/downloaded part of it ? (guessing) from the mirror
> point of view.
>
> the committed disk space is not a problem - the incremental changes are.  i
> know for us allocating 5G to apache is reasonable.  it wouldn't be reasonable
> to expect to need to download 2G daily though (extreme case).

  More confusion. The jakarata part of the archive has
  just disappeared, all 2+ GB of it.

  -- Was there a notification to the mirrors ?
  -- Is this intentional or just a fuckup ?
  -- Will this stuff be back tomorrow ?
  -- What a mess !

> -jason

  regards

  Henk Penning

Henk P. Penning, Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University \__/  \
Padualaan 14, P.O. Box 80.089, 3508 TB Utrecht, The Netherlands. \__/
Telephone: +31-30-2534106, fax: 2513791, NIC-handle: HPP1 _/  \__/  \
News.answers http://www.cs.uu.nl/cgi-bin/faqwais     \__/  \__/  \__/

Re: Jakara problems

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>.
On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:

> The easist way if you do not want to mirror the jakarta distributions is to
> put in a --exclude jakarta into your daily rsync lines

hi andrew,

i don't think its about not wanting to mirror it.  it's about the structure
and changes not making a lot of sense.  e.g is it really required to have
2G of jakarta changes in a mirror of total size 4G.  particularly when
the httpd is the most hit/downloaded part of it ? (guessing) from the mirror
point of view.

the committed disk space is not a problem - the incremental changes are.  i
know for us allocating 5G to apache is reasonable.  it wouldn't be reasonable
to expect to need to download 2G daily though (extreme case).

regards,

-jason