Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com> on 2007/02/01 21:10:14 UTC

To create a cf file: notepad and "youfile.cf" enough?

Is it enough to create a cf file using notepad and save the file like
"yourfile.cf" (with quotes)

I notice that files that I make that way have the wordpad icon, but the
original cf files
I have in my ftp, has no icon.

So perhaps that's not the way...

Re: To create a cf file: notepad and "youfile.cf" enough?

Posted by Steve Lindemann <st...@marmot.org>.
Fred T wrote:
> Hello z3r0,
>
> Thursday, February 1, 2007, 3:10:14 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Is it enough to create a cf file using notepad and save the file like
>> "yourfile.cf" (with quotes)
>
>> I notice that files that I make that way have the wordpad icon, but the
>> original cf files
>> I have in my ftp, has no icon.
>
>> So perhaps that's not the way...
>
> If you are using Windows and want to edit .cf files, I recomment
> Crimson Editor.  It's free and installs easily, add a shortcut to your
> sent to folder and easily open files in Crimson in any format.  It
> even has a cute dog icon ;)

As long as we're throwing out recommendations for good windoze
programming/text editors...  I have used TextPad
(http://www.textpad.com/) for quite some while and heartily recommend it.

I do use vi exclusively from the *nix command line and the vim graphical
editor is also a good choice (I still prefer TextPad on a M$ box) in the
GUI environment. I am told, by reliable sources, that Crimson Editor is
pretty popular, so it must have something going for it.

just my 2¢
--
Steve Lindemann                         __
Network Administrator                  //\\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

Re: To create a cf file: notepad and "youfile.cf" enough?

Posted by Fred T <sp...@freddyt.com>.
Hello z3r0,

> Is it enough to create a cf file using notepad and save the file like
> "yourfile.cf" (with quotes)

> I notice that files that I make that way have the wordpad icon, but the
> original cf files
> I have in my ftp, has no icon.

> So perhaps that's not the way...

If you are using Windows and want to edit .cf files, I recomment
Crimson Editor.  It's free and installs easily, add a shortcut to your
sent to folder and easily open files in Crimson in any format.  It
even has a cute dog icon ;)

--
Best regards,
 Fred                            mailto:spamassassin@freddyt.com

Re: To create a cf file: notepad and "youfile.cf" enough?

Posted by Dimitri Yioulos <dy...@firstbhph.com>.
On Thursday 01 February 2007 3:10 pm, z3r0 wrote:
> Is it enough to create a cf file using notepad and save the file like
> "yourfile.cf" (with quotes)
>
> I notice that files that I make that way have the wordpad icon, but the
> original cf files
> I have in my ftp, has no icon.
>
> So perhaps that's not the way...

I think that an issue with MS Notepad (I take it that's what you're refering
to) is that it writes files in unicode format, which might cause problems.
Try a text editor like Textpad.  I think your results might be better.  Oh,
and no quotes.

Dimitri

believed to be clean.

Re: To create a cf file: notepad and "youfile.cf" enough?

Posted by Maciej Friedel <bi...@wwv.pl>.
On 02/01/07 z3r0 wrote:

> > Depending on the level of access you have to your Linux box I'd
> > suggest writing them in joe or vi from the command line. linux can
get
> > very picky about line breaks in files created in windows.

> I can't lint anything, I just have a CPanel access and my wordpad.
This is
> not meant for users like me I guess...

Change Your wordpad with this vim for windows

http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

maciek

--
|_|0|_| Maciej Friedel <bi...@wwv.pl>
|_|_|0| http://wwv.pl - usługi hostingowe

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:52:02 -0800 (PST), z3r0
<ki...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Nigel Frankcom wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 12:10:14 -0800 (PST), z3r0
>> <ki...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Is it enough to create a cf file using notepad and save the file like
>>>"yourfile.cf" (with quotes)
>>>
>>>I notice that files that I make that way have the wordpad icon, but the
>>>original cf files
>>>I have in my ftp, has no icon.
>>>
>>>So perhaps that's not the way...
>>
>> Depending on the level of access you have to your Linux box I'd
>> suggest writing them in joe or vi from the command line. linux can get
>> very picky about line breaks in files created in windows.
>>
>> If you --lint you'll soon see if the  line breaks are an issue
>>

>I can't lint anything, I just have a CPanel access and my wordpad. This is
>not meant for users like me I guess...

Apologies for unhelpful replies, I work with my linux servers locally
which makes life a lot easier. It might be worth installing Cygwin or,
if you have a spare machine, sticking linux on it so you can work and
test on that.

Good luck with your remote host.

Kind regards

Nigel

Re: To create a cf file: notepad and "youfile.cf" enough?

Posted by z3r0 <ki...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Nigel Frankcom wrote:
> Depending on the level of access you have to your Linux box I'd
> suggest writing them in joe or vi from the command line. linux can get
> very picky about line breaks in files created in windows.

If you tell your FTP client to treat .cf files as ASCII, it will convert
the line endings when you transfer them.

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: To create a cf file: notepad and "youfile.cf" enough?

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.

Posted by Bret Miller <br...@wcg.org>.
> Is it enough to create a cf file using notepad and save the file like
> "yourfile.cf" (with quotes)

Yes.

> I notice that files that I make that way have the wordpad
> icon, but the original cf files I have in my ftp, has no icon.

I generally have to use Wordpad with cf files supplied by others because
they use unix line feeds instead of dos/windows ones. Notepad reads the
entire file as one line when the line feeds aren't right. Wordpad splits
the lines properly.

Bret