Posted to user@struts.apache.org by David Mulligan <da...@LECAN.ie> on 2002/08/09 11:46:09 UTC

RE: Struts & Persistence

Hey James,

I'm just wondering if you have made any progress on your struts-example
using OJB?

Tnx,
Dave.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, BaTien Duong wrote:

> Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:00:17 -0600
> From: BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>
> Subject: Re: Struts & Persistence
>
> How about transactional processing over a number of data sources? e.g. first
> level of user profile is in Ldap, second level of user profile is in RDBMS.
> That is the power of portal "vision". I hope this vision may stimulate
> others.

I hope you're hiding the two-layer access under a DAO so that the poor app
developer writing portlets doesn't have to worry about that kind of
detail ...

Craig

Re: Struts & Persistence

RE: Struts & Persistence

Posted by "Robert J. Sanford, Jr." <rs...@trefs.com>.
> >OJB is very important,
> >
> Personally, I think that's an understatement.  At this point
> (and I think they're fixing to do some major refactoring, so
> it would be hard to speak of what will come), from what I can
> tell, all configuration is very declarative.  What does this
> mean to the user?  Basically, it means that once you get
> things working right under one DBMS you can probably switch
> to another just by changing the definition of your data-
> source!
>  *That* is power!

rjsjr

Re: Struts & Persistence

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Re: Struts & Persistence

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

><Friday Alert>
>
>I'm old enough to remember being absolutely giddy over the
>amount of space available on my first hard disk drive -- ten whole
>*mega*bytes!  Whatever would I do with all of that space?
>
></Friday Alert>
>
>Craig

LOL - my first one had 100 MB - MAN how I echoed your feelings!  LOL.
 The sad thing (in retrospect) is that when I got my first 1.2 GB drive,
I was naive enough to think that *surely* I wouldn't ever need a larger one!

... what a blast from the past :-)

Recommended to use static enumeration

Posted by "Philip S. Constantinou" <ph...@wayfinder.net>.
What is the recommended way to access static enumerations from taglibs? I've
defined a static enumeration class (see below) and I'd like to have an
elegant way to access them in the view. Right now I have to put Java in my
JSP  pages which I'd prefer not to do.

This is what I do now:
<% pageContext.setAttribute("statuses", myPackage.Status.getStatuses()); %>
<logic:iterate id="status" name="statuses" type="myPackage.Status">
<bean:write name="status" property="name"/><br>
</logic:iterate>

Is there a better way?

Thanks -
Phil

My static enumerations look like this:

public class Status {
private static HashSet_map = new HashSet();
public static final Status PASS = new Status("PASS","Pass");
public static final Status FAIL = new Status("FAIL","Fail");
public static final Status REJECT= new Status("RJCT","Reject");
protected Status(String code, String name) {
 this.code = code;
 this.name = name;
 _map.put(code, this);
}
public String getName() {
    return name;
}
public String getCode() {
    return code;
}
public static final Collection getStatuses() {
    return _values.values();
}
public static Status getStatus(String code) {
    return (Status)_map.get(code);
}
}

RE: Another architecture question

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.

Is
| this correct?  If so, maybe changing the wording to
| ServiceDelegate.updateSomeDomainObject() would more accurately
describe
| things?  The forms are accessing a service layer object right?  (I'm
not
| being critical of your naming suggestion, just curious since I'm a
little
| shaky on some of these architecture concepts).

A lot of people use a DAO implementation to really separate java and
sql.  The best way to go about this is to create a really generic
framework that knows nothing of your business logic, but is configurable
via XML:

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-03-2002/jw-0301-dao.html

The basic goal is to provide translation from a result set to a List of
business beans.  I don't even bother with memory level caching, but
there are some nice implementations out there that others can recommend
such as Castor the more closely pair business objects and your database.

I use an implementation much like this:
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-05-2002/jw-0524-sql.html

I define "commands" in my xml along with object mappings which are just
pairs of columns to bean properties. My XML config file looks like this:

<jfuse-config>
<command alias="com_user_login"
	   dataSource="java:comp/env/jdbc/cp"
	   sql="select usrUsrID, usrEmail, usrPassword, usrCreated from
tbl_user where usrEmail = ? and usrPassword = ?"
/>
<object-map className="com.dds.module.bean.User" alias="map_user">
	<property sql="usrUsrID" property="id"/>
	<property sql="usrEmail" property="login"/>
	<property sql="usrPassword" property="password"/>
	<property sql="usrCreated" property="created"/>
</object-map>
</jfuse-config>

Then in my login action, my code looks like this:

// my sql processor
JFuse jfuse = JFuse.getInstance(servlet.getContext());

// get my command and my object map
Command loginCommand = jfuse.getCommand("com_user_login");
ObjectMap userMap = jfuse.getObjectMap("map_user");

// setup params to get user login
Object[] params = new Object[] {
				form.getLogin().trim(),
				form.getPassword().trim() }

// execute query
User user = (User) jfuse.doQuery(
				loginCommand,
				params,
				userMap);
if ( user == null )
	throw new InvalidLoginException();
else
{
	// put data in session
}

| In any event, it sounds like you are propsing that this
LogicController
| access the database for me and that this LogicController could be a
simple
| java object.  I'm assuming in a more complicated system, this could be
| replaced by session ejb which talk to entity ejb (aka Session Facade).
| certainly don't need the domain layer for just a few objects but the
| facade
| to the database still might be helpful.
|
| One final question, suggest that the form call this LogicController
class.
| What about doing this in the action's perform/execute method?  My
thinking
| is that this will allow you to catch exceptions, etc. and use some of
the
| 1.1 exception stuff (like forwarding to an error page).

Very true, I use the struts validator with my forms.  Really, the
validate method should only make sure the information submitted by the
user is valid; your business logic should be pushed to the action.
Validate should check for null or zero length parameters and for string
expressions (is it a valid phone number or email address).

Posted by Olga Agady <oa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks again, Robert

I believe the approach with the session-timeout is
better than having dozens of hidden fields. Having
information in the bean is easier to debug.

Thanks
Olga

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-user%40jakarta.apache.org/

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.

Posted by Olga Agady <oa...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks, Robert

Posted by Robert Taylor <rt...@mulework.com>.

Posted by Jacob Hookom <ho...@uwec.edu>.

---

Another architecture question

Posted by se...@verizon.net.

RE: Struts & Persistence

Posted by Robert Morse <rm...@mdesignz.com>.
Man walks upright
8" Floppies
Pertec D3000 (5 Mb fixed, 5 Mb removable)
MITS Altair S-100 Bus (I still have this!)
Wheel Invented!
IMSAI
Link-8
Alpha-Micro
Industrial Revolution begins!
360-30
Man takes flight!
Every PDP-XX
Every DG computer known to man (I'm still in therapy because of this)
VAX
Motorola 68000 Exormacs
More PCs than I can remember
Sequent
And even more PCs

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Struts & Persistence

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

RE: Struts & Persistence

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.

Re: Struts & Persistence

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

RE: Struts & Persistence

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@telocity.com>.

Yes, he is the Mommy and the Daddy, and Uncle and Aunt....but not Grandpa.
No that title goes to

Re: Struts & Persistence

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.

RE: Struts & Persistence