Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Raghuveer <ra...@infotechsw.com> on 2008/06/18 16:57:14 UTC

Retriving polish characters from URL Query string in TOMCAT Server

I had requirement of retrieving the login details like user_id, name from
parent web application.

At present I am retrieving by .

request.getParameter("user_id")

request.getParameter("name")

Some times names can be in Polish language from parent web application.

What changes i need to make in my JSP Struts web application in order to
retrieve the polish characters

Re: Retriving polish characters from URL Query string in TOMCAT Server

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Raghuveer wrote:
> What changes i need to make in my JSP Struts web application in order to
> retrieve the polish characters

In addition to any struts configuration, you'll need to set the URIEncoding
on the connector.

Mark

Re: Retriving polish characters from URL Query string in TOMCAT Server

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Christopher Schultz wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Steve Ochani wrote:
> | From:    Raghuveer <ra...@infotechsw.com>
> |>
> |> I had requirement of retrieving the login details like user_id, name
> |> from parent web application.
> |>
> |> At present I am retrieving by .
> |>
> |> request.getParameter("user_id")
> |>
> |> request.getParameter("name")
> |>
> |> Some times names can be in Polish language from parent web
> |> application.
> |>
> |> What changes i need to make in my JSP Struts web application in order
> |> to retrieve the polish characters
> |
> | This is not a tomcat question but a Struts question.
>
> Struts does not interfere with the standard servlet classes, so Struts
> is a bit of a red herring, here. Mark Thomas has posted what I believe
> to be the proper answer, but another series of posts I read today (and
> throughout all time) indicate that sometimes it appears not to work. All
> I know is that it works for me.

There is work to be done within the application as well as with Tomcat
configuration. The general rule is unless you explicitly set an encoding
you will be using ISO-8859-1.

The FAQ is also a good source of info on this. I particularly recommend:
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/CharacterEncoding#Q4

If this works, then you have an application problem. If it doesn't, you
need to fix your Tomcat configuration first (NB: For current releases it
should work on a clean install).

Mark

Re: Retriving polish characters from URL Query string in TOMCAT Server

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Retriving polish characters from URL Query string in TOMCAT Server

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
Date sent:	Wed, 18 Jun 2008 20:27:14 +0530
From:	Raghuveer <ra...@infotechsw.com>
Subject:	Retriving polish characters  from URL Query string in TOMCAT Server
To:	'Tomcat Users List' <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
Send reply to:	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>
Send reply to:	raghuveerv@infotechsw.com
Organization:	IEL

> I had requirement of retrieving the login details like user_id, name
> from parent web application.
>

> At present I am retrieving by .
>

> request.getParameter("user_id")
>
> request.getParameter("name")
>

> Some times names can be in Polish language from parent web
> application.
>

> What changes i need to make in my JSP Struts web application in order
> to retrieve the polish characters

This is not a tomcat question but a Struts question.

Try the struts users mailing list

http://struts.apache.org/mail.html

I haven't used Struts but your application has to set the proper character encoding type,
usually utf8.

-Steve O.