Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jerry Williams <jw...@elon.edu> on 2002/01/11 17:19:48 UTC

Apache on NT

I am new to Apache and have a question.  I have read the documentation and
am unable to figure out the correct syntax I suppose, or even if I am using
the right thing in my httpd.conf file.

I am trying to create what in IIS was called a virtual directory. Meaning,
when someone types www.whatever.com\virtual
then it will actually show www.whatever.com\this\is\where\the\file\really\is
.

Any suggestions about weather to use virtual host, redirects or other?  And
the correct syntax of how to place it in my httpd.conf.

Thanks
Jerry Williams
Elon University
336-278-5088

Re: Apache on NT

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Jerry Williams wrote:

> I am new to Apache and have a question.  I have read the documentation and
> am unable to figure out the correct syntax I suppose, or even if I am using
> the right thing in my httpd.conf file.
>
> I am trying to create what in IIS was called a virtual directory. Meaning,
> when someone types www.whatever.com\virtual
> then it will actually show www.whatever.com\this\is\where\the\file\really\is

Welcome to apache!

I'm not entirely certain about what you mean;

- If you want to have simple URL point to a deeply-buried directory on
the filesystem, this is done by the DocumentRoot directive (one of the
essential directives in httpd.conf), e.g.

DocumentRoot C:/html/data/which/is/down/the/tree

so now http://your-server/file-name will retrieve
C:/html/data/which/is/down/the/tree/file-name.

- Alternatively, if you already have the deeply buried file accessible
on the web and want to make a short-cut to it from a higher level, you
could use a Redirect, e.g.

Redirect /short-cut http://your-server/down/the/tree

then http://your-server/short-cut/file-name will retrieve
http://your-server/down/the/tree/file-name. Note that you must use an
absolute URL with Redirect and that the client's location field changes.

If you want a "silent" redirect, use Alias, e.g.

Alias /short-cut /down/the/tree

then http://your-server/short-cut/file-name will retrieve
http://your-server/down/the/tree/file-name.

RedirectMatch and AliasMatch might also interest you - read the docs for
details.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.

Re: Apache on NT

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.
Jerry,

Look up the Alias directive, I think that is what you are looking for