Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com> on 2000/07/07 22:28:55 UTC

HELP: Stack trace in browser - how?

Hi all,

FAQ-o-matic is down =(  Since moving from 3.1 -> 3.2dev, I've lost stack
traces in the browser.  I couldn't see where this was en/disabled.  Any
tips?

- r

RE: HELP: Stack trace in browser - how?

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
> I'm not sure where they were disabled either, but I know it was done
> for security reasons.  Stack traces reveal information about your
> internal config that may be exploitable.  Instead, you need to check
> the logs.
>
> Personally, I think this should be an option -- it's really convenient
> to see errors on the page, and as long as you can disable it for a
> live site -- but I haven't felt strongly enough about it to write a
> patch :-)

I never knew it would happen, because w/JServ you always "tail -f"'ed the
log and it was kind of a pain.

The first thing I thought when the stack popped up was "COOL!" and the
second thing I thought was, "yeah but wait a minute..." =)  I immediately
assumed there was an option, but because I won't be going live for so long,
I put off looking into it.

Where would this go?  In server.xml?

Posted by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com>.
I'm not sure where they were disabled either, but I know it was done
for security reasons.  Stack traces reveal information about your
internal config that may be exploitable.  Instead, you need to check
the logs.

Personally, I think this should be an option -- it's really convenient
to see errors on the page, and as long as you can disable it for a
live site -- but I haven't felt strongly enough about it to write a
patch :-)

 - Alex

Posted by "Rob S." <rs...@home.com>.
Eric,

Actually, I was thinking more about Tomcat's own exceptions, like during JSP
compilation?

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original question.  Thanks very much for the
reply ;)

- r

Posted by "Eric H." <eh...@usc.edu>.

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Rob S. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> FAQ-o-matic is down =(  Since moving from 3.1 -> 3.2dev, I've lost stack
> traces in the browser.  I couldn't see where this was en/disabled.  Any
> tips?
>
> - r

-Eric Harashevsky