Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/27 17:06:39 UTC

Should we allow more ejb-links than j2ee specifies?

As part of work on GERONIMO-2148 fixing ejb-refs between modules I
extended (or made work) some non-j2ee functionality and I wonder if
we want it.  I think we do. Lets see if I can describe the
functionality:

ejb-link in a j2ee app is only supposed to work between modules in an
ear.

The extended functionality is to make it work between a j2ee app and
any ancestor j2ee app.  For instance, a war can have an ejb-link in
web.xml to an ejb in a parent ejb module.

We already let you put an ejb-link in geronimo-web.xml with these
semantics.

If we agree that we want this extended functionality we can remove
the unused targetModuleId parameter from EJBReferenceBuilder methods.

To be clear, 1.1.1 currently has this extended functionality and I
want to know if I should remove it.  I'm not sure about the state of
trunk: I plan to reexamine this after 1.1.1 is settled.

thanks
david jencks

Re: Should we allow more ejb-links than j2ee specifies?

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
I think extended functionality is good.  As long as it doesn't violate
or break our spec compliance, why not allow it to do more?  I am in
support of extended functionality.

Jeff

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
I think it is a benefit to a user.  They might be surprised when it doesn't work in another
Appserver.  So long as we don't break compliance I think we should keep it.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:
>
>> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>>> I'm not really in favor of the log messages -- we have too many
>>> extensions.
>>> I am in favor of keeping the feature as presently implemented.
>>
>> +1
>
> +1
>
> -dain

It was just an idea.. I'm happy keeping the feature as is.

John

Re: Should we allow more ejb-links than j2ee specifies?

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On Jul 27, 2006, at 7:29 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>> On 7/27/06, John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think this would simplify configuration for users.  Could we log a
>>> warning (that can be enabled/disabled) at deploy time identifying
>>> extended features are being utilised? Putting myself in users
>>> shoes, I
>>> would like to use these extensions, but would like a way of
>>> identifying
>>> which apps are using them and what extended features are being
>>> used in
>>> case I need to migrate my apps to another server, but don't wan't
>>> to see
>>> warning messages day to day during normal operation.
>> I'm not really in favor of the log messages -- we have too many
>> extensions.
>> I am in favor of keeping the feature as presently implemented.
>
> +1

+1

-dain

Re: Should we allow more ejb-links than j2ee specifies?

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
I think this would simplify configuration for users.  Could we log a
warning (that can be enabled/disabled) at deploy time identifying
extended features are being utilised? Putting myself in users shoes, I
would like to use these extensions, but would like a way of identifying
which apps are using them and what extended features are being used in
case I need to migrate my apps to another server, but don't wan't to see
warning messages day to day during normal operation.

Regards,
John