Posted to user@poi.apache.org by naresh <d....@gmail.com> on 2011/06/06 08:05:32 UTC

Problem opening the written Excel file with BigGridDemo

Hi All,

I have used "BigGridDemo" from examples for writing data into ".xlsx" files.

I have tested with below sets of data:

1. Rows(<=480000) X Columns(155): Written successfully and I can open the
excel file successfully. File size 257MB.
2. Rows(>480000) X Columns(155): Written successfully and I cannot open the
excel file. File size: 525MB. Below is the error message it showing:

Excel found unreadable content in 'big-grid.xlsx'. Do you want to recover
the contents of this workbook? If you trust the cource of this workbook,
click Yes.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem.
I am not understanding whether this problem is with Excel 2007 or my machine
configuration or the problem is with BigGridDemo itself.

Please help.

Thanks & Regards,
Naresh.D

Re: Problem opening the written Excel file with BigGridDemo

Posted by anjs <jn...@yahoo.com>.
StringEscapeUtils.escapeXml works for me . Thanks!

Re: Problem opening the written Excel file with BigGridDemo

Posted by anjs <jn...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Nick

You are right, My XML is not valid. It has some issues with escape
characters in text like & . My cell data has & in it. XSSF is a beta version
right now, and so we cannot use it right now. Hopefully when it rolls out,
we would be glad to use it. But till then, I think BigGridDemo seems to be a
promising solution. Although we have more bulk testing to do!.
Anyhow, this doesnt seem to be BigGridDemo issue, this is basically writing
a valid and more rich XML , in case you can provide me any good links on
that , it would help!!

thanks

Re: Problem opening the written Excel file with BigGridDemo

Posted by Nick Burch <ni...@alfresco.com>.
On 26/09/11 08:19, anjs wrote:
> I am also facing similar problem. My file has just 20 records, and it still
> gives this alert on opening the xlsx file. Any reasons why this is
> happening? Let me know if anybody has resolved the issue

If you're not confident at writing the correct XML by hand, then you're
likely much better off switching to using SXSSF. The big grid demo is
very powerful, but there aren't a lot of safety nets either...

Nick

Re: Problem opening the written Excel file with BigGridDemo

Posted by anjs <jn...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.

>>> Can you reproduce the problem for any data? If so, can you submit a test
>>> case?
> Yes, with the BigGridDemo.java it happens for the columns more than 150 and
> records more tha 490,000.
> How to submit a test case and where? What minimum information is required.
> We can just modify the BigGridDemo.java to write 150 cols(add a loop - takes
> max 4 lines) and more than  490,000 records (just modify the 10,000 to
> 490,000).

Bugs are submitted through Bugzilla:
https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=POI;list_id=5703

You will need to register first.

It can be a Java program based on BigGridDemo along with a description
how to use it. numCols and numRows can be input arguments. In any
case, I would like to have a way to reproduce the problem.

Yegor

Re: Problem opening the written Excel file with BigGridDemo

Posted by naresh <d....@gmail.com>.
Hi Yegor,

Thanks for the reply.

>> 525MB is a big file. Does your computer have enough memory to open it?
Yes, When I write 1,000,000(1million) records its size is 525 MB. But it
cannot open even the 260MB file if I write more than 490,000 records itself.

>> What happens if you click Yes? Do you see the contents?
Yes, EXCEL can recover the content and I can copy the content to a new file
and open next time successfully.

>> Can you reproduce the problem for any data? If so, can you submit a test
>> case?
Yes, with the BigGridDemo.java it happens for the columns more than 150 and
records more tha 490,000.
How to submit a test case and where? What minimum information is required.
We can just modify the BigGridDemo.java to write 150 cols(add a loop - takes
max 4 lines) and more than  490,000 records (just modify the 10,000 to
490,000).

>> It can be that BigGridDemo  does not escape certain xml symbols. One
>> way to see what's wrong is to unzip the .xlsx file and validate the
>> sheet*.xml files. At minimum, they should be syntactically correct.
Yes, I have extracted and opened the sheet1.xml but all the data is ok as
per syntax.

Posted by Yegor Kozlov <ye...@dinom.ru>.