Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/06 00:18:00 UTC

BIGTOP-1479: should we wait till 1x ?

Hi bigtop.

bigtop-1585 (test artifacts fixes) brought up the ghost of bigtop-1479
(gradle maven integration) ...

With bigtop 1x ideas floating around, i wonder wether 1x will obviate some
things that are maven specific in such a way that we can simply do w/
gradle and nothing else?

if so, we can just
- keep stuff as is until bigtop 1x comes out, and then
- drop mvn entirely.

i have a feeling, that if we all agree (i think we do, correct me if wrong)
that we are willing to drop alot of features in bigtop 1x, in favor of a
few, very welll supported components...  then it might be easy to port 100%
to gradle at that time, rather than glue maven and gradle together.

--
jay vyas

Re: BIGTOP-1479: should we wait till 1x ?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:10 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> Another thought along the same line is how to eliminate the last bit of make
> heritage and replace bigtop.mk with some sort of Groovy DSL, so we can fully
> benefit from Gradle.

I would very much like to see this in 1.0. Also, would love to help with
the development of this.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: BIGTOP-1479: should we wait till 1x ?

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Another thought along the same line is how to eliminate the last bit of make
heritage and replace bigtop.mk with some sort of Groovy DSL, so we can fully
benefit from Gradle.

I personally would release 0.9 with all emergency fixes and upgrades as soon
as CI is ready and postpone such radical improvements until 1.0. That said -
we can do all needed ground work in the mean time: e.g. migrating the
functionality into Gradle build and laying the ground to switch off the Maven.

Thoughts?
  Cos