Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/27 20:00:14 UTC

Re: Unable to start solr 4.3

The usual answer (which may or may not be relevant) is that Solr 4.3 has
moved the logging libraries around and you need to copy specific library
implementations to your Tomcat lib files. If that sounds as a possible,
search the mailing list for a number of detailed discussions on this topic.

Regards,
   Alex

- Time is the quality of nature that keeps events from happening all at
once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD book)

RE: Unable to start solr 4.3

Posted by Gian Maria Ricci <al...@nablasoft.com>.
Thanks, I'll check :)

--
Gian Maria Ricci
Mobile: +39 320 0136949

RE: Unable to start solr 4.3

Posted by Gian Maria Ricci <al...@nablasoft.com>.
Thanks a lot, it seems that probably solr won't start because of all the log libraries missing. Once I copied all needed log libraries inside c:\tomcat\libs solr started with no problem.

If other person are interested, here is the link on the wiki that states changes in logging library in solr 4.3

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#What_changed

Thanks Alexandre for pointing me in the right direction :)

--
Gian Maria Ricci
Mobile: +39 320 0136949

Re: Unable to start solr 4.3

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 5/27/2013 12:00 PM, Alexandre Rafalovitch wrote:
> The usual answer (which may or may not be relevant) is that Solr 4.3 has
> moved the logging libraries around and you need to copy specific library
> implementations to your Tomcat lib files. If that sounds as a possible,
> search the mailing list for a number of detailed discussions on this topic.

<snip>

> <al...@nablasoft.com>wrote:
>> I’ve a test VM where I usually test solr installation. In that VM I
>> already configured solr4.0 and everything went good. Today I download the
>> 4.3 version, unpack everything, configuring TOMCAT as I did for the 4.0
>> version but the application does not start, and in catilina log I find only

Alexandre has probably nailed the problem here.

A little more detail on how to fix it: The section of the SolrLogging
wiki page on how to use the example logging with another container will
be exactly what you need.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging#Using_the_example_logging_setup_in_containers_other_than_Jetty

This section is also followed by instructions for switching back to
java.util.logging.  Because the example setup takes logging control away
from tomcat, this is something that many tomcat users will want to do.

Thanks,
Shawn